Coronavirus Forces Schools To Go Virtual
News

What's next following this move?

34

It was today, March 11, 2020 that the Florida Board of Governors ordered a decision that is like many others across the United States now. They ordered that Florida's colleges and state universities move to a virtual environment until at least April 5.

What does this mean? Well, most schools are nearing their spring break time anyway. A move to online for many will be met with both criticism and praise, as any other major decision would. Skeptics would be quick to point out that this isn't as big of a deal as what those are making it out to be. On the other side of things, so many are panicking when it reality the reaction should just fall somewhere in the middle.

Personally, this decision is pretty solid for me. Naturally, I have excelled in online environments versus classroom environments. Part of it is more about being able to get straight to the point with material without outside distractions. For most college students nowadays, they are quite familiar with technological platforms.

These tough decisions aren't benefiting everyone, however. It as to be acknowledged that many of these actions nationwide are putting many college students in very tough positions. In universities with large international populations, many of those students will have a tough time getting home. Many countries, like Italy, are completely blocking out travel due to the rightful health concerns.

Not only that, but many American college students who live on campus do not have a home to go back to. What do you do when the residence halls close? How about, even before that, when the dining halls close shop? My heart is with those students who should be acknowledged in a time like this as well. Coronavirus is a force to be reckoned with, in even the not-so-obvious ways.

At some point, hopefully we can return back to normal. We are going to be spending a lot of time at home, and that can either be good or bad. Let's continue to stay calm, wash our hands, and maintain good hygiene! Especially when the crisis is no longer.