When Villains Become Good Guys: A Look At 'Descendants 2'

Beneath the pirates, princesses, and royal cotillion drama, Disney’s "Descendants 2" touches on deeper issues like prejudice, sexism and class conflicts.

222

***Warning: Spoilers ahead.***

If you intend to watch the movie and haven’t done so yet, go watch it and come back. If you have seen the movie, then read on, and if you haven’t watched the movie and had no intention to do so, read on at your own risk, but I would advise watching it, however I am clearly biased.

On Friday July 21st, I tuned into Disney at 8p.m. to watch “Descendants 2” just like millions of other viewers globally. The first movie drew me in and excited me, so I was curious to see how Kenny Ortega would do, and he did not disappoint. After all, he is the mastermind behind so many successes - “High School Musical” anyone? However, what struck me while watching the movie was the depth of the ideas behind the film, which went further than the friendship centered and love-struck teachable moments Disney artfully integrates into their productions. Here are 15 quotes and moments from the movie that left me impressed and completely and utterly shook!

1. "Mother always knows best."

Starting with the musical number to “Ways To Be Wicked” challenges the traditional Disney narrative that going to the good side is easy and always the best option as Mal is dreaming about turning Auradon evil. But behind the amazing choreography- again, we see Kenny coming in clutch with the amazing dance moves and catchy song- there is a real struggle with relinquishing her roots, because that’s all she knows from the Isle of the Lost. The dilemma of trying to determine what part of your roots belongs to you and which belongs to your parents is a struggle that most of us will face. Whether it centers around political choices, religion, social state or career paths, there is a point in our lives where the thought of returning to what feels familiar definitely strikes, and it is difficult to figure it out. The song might be Radio Disney gold but it emphasizes an issue that is very present in real life.

2. "Did you ever think you'd be with a villain kid?"

Snapping back to a paparazzi scene parallels the social media age and the obsession with judging people and labelling them according to what is deemed socially acceptable. We tell people who they are instead of allowing them to tell us. But, Ben always tries to see Mal for who she is, not the villain kid from the other side of the bridge the media tells the entire kingdom. Instead of letting prejudice and stereotypes blind us, we should see people for who they really are, regardless of what perceived flaws society deems an individual carries. We all deserve a chance to be understood -a cheesy Disney lesson with a tiny twist from the Isle.

3. "We're in Auradon: the land of opportunity."

Mal and Evie discussing the pros and cons of living in Auradon instead of the Isle is reminiscent of the immigrant struggle, trying to find opportunity in a completely different place, but still missing home. They came to another land, and now they’re all just trying to adjust and make the most of it. It is hard to leave behind what’s familiar in search of a better life and it leaves the important lesson that everyone deserves to be given a chance to succeed.

4. "You're right. I don't need a Prince because I have you."

Evie, the daughter of the Evil Queen, dating Doug, the son of Doc, one of the seven dwarves, emphasizes the fact the Prince Charming comes in many forms, and who knows, they might come as Princess Charming too. In spite of these polar opposite backgrounds, they are not their parents and they deserve to know each other on their own terms and define their relationship in a way that they see fit, just as everyone else should. Evie has come a long way from chasing after royal social climber Chad, to the sweet, doting, scientist boyfriend extraordinaire Doug. With all of her royal fashion designer earnings, she can definitely buy her castle and take up residence with her very own Prince Charming after all.

5. "We shouldn't be getting her leftovers!"

Uma’s anger at being left on the Isle shows the resentment between the haves and the have-nots. She’s more than just the kid of a villain, she’s a kid who ended up on the wrong side of fate. We have no control over how or where we’re born. It is only by pure luck that some of us are born in the free world instead of a war zone or in a suburb instead of being placed in a group home. We do have control over where our lives head, but for those of us on the wrong side of luck, that path is a little more bumpy, and the animosity is unsurprising. Uma did not get picked to go to Auradon simply because of fate and about one-third of the world shares the same predicament, some worse than others, but all equally undeserving.

6. “There is one thing the Isle’s got on Auradon: if you’re strong, we want you by our side, girl or boy.”

Mulan’s daughter, Lonnie, had me rooting for her the second she jumped into the fencing match and challenged the star fighter Jay. Clearly, fierceness and determination are inheritable traits. Unfortunately, royal airhead Chad insists that they should stand behind the rules of a team comprised of “a captain and 8 men.” Well, Jay, the current team captain, found a loophole, making Lonnie the captain of a team of 8 men. In life, it may not be as simple, but the Disney version reflects the reality for many young women. Particularly in this example of women being accepted in male dominated sports but this emphasizes the fact that you are your only limit and you should keep fighting regardless of what anyone says, and that’s what Lonnie did -literally. Disney has been injecting more feminist plots and more empowered female characters into their franchise and these are certainly welcomed changes. So, in addition to the lessons on love and friendship, being strong and determined, regardless of your gender, has also made it on their list. Most importantly, the timeless lesson of treating everyone the way you would want to be treated never gets old, just a little revamped.

7. "Let's blow this popsicle stand."

Mal running back to the Isle touches on an impulse that we’ve all had -the need to just go back home. Whether your home is the same one you’ve lived in your entire life or is in another country, the desire to go back to the familiar takes us over. The scene is also a lot more telling since Mal is escaping from Auradon, a renowned paradise, to go back to the Isle. That is not the characteristic of a bad person, but rather, a normal one.

8. “She’d been under so much pressure lately, and instead of being understanding I went all Beast on her.”

“Descendants 2” truly is the movie of understanding, whether it’s Ben empathizing with Uma or Evie sticking up for the kids from the Isle, there is a depth of emotion present in spite of the TV-G rating. The villains have more understanding than some adults in the real world. When King Ben discovers that Mal has gone back to the Isle, instead of getting mad at her, he regrets not talking to her about how she felt. In any relationship, romantic or otherwise, communication is one of the most important components and it’s nice that Disney subtly teaches this lesson. Talking and listening resolves a situation more than just yelling and screaming.

9. “Let us teach you how to disappear… gotta be wrong to get it right round here.”

“Chillin’ Like a Villain” is another amazing song and dance number by Kenny Ortega, but the lyrics do portray a reality for kids who grow up on the wrong side of the tracks, or rather, “the wrong side of the bridge.” Children are not born with bad intentions, but their surroundings definitely have an impact and in this world, some children have to learn this disappearing act in order to survive. Unfortunately, they’ve become pro magicians because they constantly fall through the cracks, without getting the support and education they need and in this case, ignorance is the villain, not the children who fall victim to it.

10. “I was lucky enough to be given a chance, now it’s my turn to give someone else a chance.”

Evie mentoring Dizzy even when she was a supposed villain on the Isle shows that children are not born inherently evil and the importance of giving back so that others could have the same opportunities for success. Mal tells her that Dizzy will be fine on the Isle but she knows that “she could be so much more.” Every child has the potential to learn and grow and Evie asking King Ben to give Dizzy and other kids from the Isle a chance shows that there is enough room in Auradon for everyone, a lesson some of us really should learn.

11. "Never thought I would hurt the people I didn't pick."

King Ben is a great example of leadership: he is unrelentingly kind, benevolent, understanding and he owns up to his mistakes instead of making excuses. When he sees how his decision to only bring four kids from Isle affected Uma, he realizes that he made a mistake by neglecting to follow up on the other children, acknowledging that “they’re [his] people too.” He also sees the good in her, complimenting her resourcefulness and leadership, seeing the potential she has to be a great leader in Auradon. A good leader guides their team as best as they can but they’re mature and responsible enough to admit when they’ve done wrong and that’s an important quality to have. Finding the good in people and constantly seeking to spread positivity and inspire others is another important lesson that is worth teaching. It’s easy to forget about the disadvantages and suffering others endure on a daily basis when you have the privilege of not experiencing that yourself, but always remembering to be grateful and to play your part in changing the world because it is priceless and can potentially change someone’s life.

12. “We’re your family too, we’ve been through a lot together and that’s not stopping now.”

Carlos insisting on having girl talk with Mal, Evie and Jay is easily one of the sweetest moments in the movie. Removing the stigma around boys revealing emotions and moving away from the machismo villain archetype adds a more realistic touch to an already poignant movie. Turns out girl talk really is just people talk and the boys did have valuable information to add with Carlos reminding Mal that “ if Ben doesn’t love the real you then he’s not the one for you.” Contrary to popular belief, boys have emotions, and that’s okay. Carlos caring about how his friends feel doesn’t make him any less of a man, it makes him a better one.

13. “Don’t let your pride get in the way of something you really want.”

Uma crashing cotillion and cursing King Ben the same way Ursula did to Prince Eric in “The Little Mermaid” amplifies the fact that children follow in their parent’s footsteps. Although Uma knows that life in Auradon is better, she can’t give up her roots because she wants to make it there on her own terms. But, as the saying goes pride goes before the fall and this quote goes further than a battle between the spawn of a sea witch and a dragon. There are many times when we’re too proud to admit we’re wrong but in denying it we just dig ourselves a deeper hole that keeps us from achieving our goals. It’s not too late to turn back even when you’ve gone down the wrong path.

14. "The fighting has to stop. Nobody wins this way. We have to listen and respect each other. It won’t be easy, but let’s be brave enough to try.”

Can somebody please tell this to Congress? It’s amazing that a movie for children vocalizes a thought that some adults fail to comprehend and can’t seem to learn. In any situation, arguments only escalate animosity and cause the problem to fester. Empathy is something the world continually lacks. If we would just listen and try to really understand where the other person is coming from, there would be less gridlock and resentment. We all share this earth and our concerns deserve to be acknowledged, not haphazardly heard and forgotten.

15. “We’re always going to be the kids from the Isle, I tried to forget it but those are our roots and we all did what we had to do, to survive. But, it made us who we are and we’re never going to be like anybody else here, and that’s okay.”

Undoubtedly my favorite quote from the entire movie. Addressing that while they do come from evil roots, that does not make them bad people. They were born into a bad situation, and they just did what they had to do in a hopeless situation. However, they use the powers they got from their parents to make those around them happy. Evie uses her fashion prowess to design outfits that would make others feel confident and happy instead of using her beauty as her mother, the Evil Queen, did to land a king and gain his kingdom. Mal uses her magic and unexpected power of transformation to protect the people she cares about and to make them happy instead of burning down villages like Maleficent. Jay uses his physical agility and fighting abilities to excel in the school’s sports instead of stealing and plotting like Jafar. Carlos has a pet dog and treats everyone with kindness and respect as opposed to his mother, Cruella de Vil, who is notorious for grossly profiting off of man’s best friend. They were born to villains but they have their own stories to tell and they are fundamentally different people. There are many kids born into unfortunate circumstances, but their pasts should not define them because they deserve the opportunity to excel like anybody else.

“There’s something special that I’ve learned, it’s that together we can change the world. Everybody’s got something they could bring.”

Underneath the whimsical storyline, there are parallels that could be drawn to reality. The movie was absolutely epic and entertaining but the cute, authentic moments made it even better and relatable. Turns out these villains are rotten in the best way possible.