All For Love and Love For All

All For Love and Love For All

The ways Valentine's day is celebrated in the countries around the world.

31
All For Love and Love For All
5boros

Growing up, Valentines Day was my favorite holiday because I received chocolate, a teddybear, and a sweet card from my parents. Stores were full out decorated in red and pink colors with flowers and stuffed animals out on display. It was also a day just dedicated to love, and being a hopeless romantic and all, that made the day even better. What other days or holiday's do people get treated as royalty and shown that they are loved? The answer, none unless you count birthdays. I feel that there shouldn't just be one day dedicated to showing someone you love them, people should be showing their love everyday! Since Valentine's day is right around the corner, I wanted to learn about what other countries do on Valentine's Day around the world and the history behind the day itself. We know what happens on Valentine's Day in the United States but how is it celebrated in other countries? Let's find out.

1. Brazil. Brazilians like to skip the February 14th celebration and instead of a separate day for it titled Dia dos Namerados a.k.a. Lovers day on June 12th. Similar to how the US celebrates the holiday with cards and chocolate and flowers of course, music performances and other festivals also happen. This day isn't for couples only, it is celebrated as a day of love for everyone by giving gifts and having dinner with friends and family. The next day is called Saint Anthony's Day all about the saint of marriage. In the Brazilian culture, on this day, single women and men perform rituals hoping that Saint Anthony will bring them a husband or wife. Maybe we should make this a tradition in the United States too for all of us single people out there.

2. South Africa. Everyone has heard the saying "wear your heart on your sleeve" but in South Africa they take this saying to it's literal definition. On February 14th women pin the names of whoever they love on their shirt sleeves. The men can figure out who their secret admirer is or if they have one or maybe even many.

3. Italy. Italians like the United States celebrate Valentine's Day with gifts and romantic dinners. However, long ago Italians would celebrate this holiday in the spring as a festival. People would gather in gardens to hear some romantic poetry to set the mood for a lovely walk hand in hand with their lover. A tradition in Italy for the young single women, was for them to wake up bright and early to point out their future husbands. The first man that she saw would be "the one" she marries within the year or at least would look like him in some way or have similar characteristics.

4. England. The night before Valentine's day, single women would put bay leaves on their pillows so it would bring dreams of their future husbands. In Norfolk England, there's a similar character like Santa known as Jack Valentine who knocks at peoples doors leaving candles and small gifts on the porch for all the children.

5. France. Paris especially is of course known for being one of the most romantic places in the world and Valentine's Day is no exception with being a day for lovers. In 1415, Charles who was the Duke of Orleans sent his wife love letters while he was held captive in the Tower of London. This was when the first Valentine's Day card came about and is still exchanged in France now. There's a tradition in France called loterie d'amour "drawing for love" where groups of men and women would go into houses that were across from the other and yell out to one another and form a couple. The women who didn't find a match would have a bonfire and brought pictures of their exes who hurt them and would curse and insult them. The French government thought the bonfire event was too overbearing so they banned it.

6. South Korea. On February 14th, the women of South Korea give gifts, chocolate, flowers, and candles in hopes of making the right moves on their men. Then the same thing happens on March 14th known as White day where the men spoil their lover with flowers, chocolate, and gifts. For the singles in South Korea there is a holiday dedicated just for them called Black day and happens on April 14th. It is a day for singles to mourn their single relationship status while eating black bean noodles.

7. China. Instead of Valentine's Day, China has what's knowns as the seventh night festival on the seventh day of the seventh month of the year. The story says that a kings daughter and a poor farmer/cowherd fell in love, got married and had twins. When the kings daughter found out about the marriage he sent his wife to find his daughter and bring her back home. But the king heard the poor farmer's cries and allowed them to meet once a year. On this day, women give offerings of fruits to the gods to find a good husband.

8. Japan. Japan celebrates Valentine's day on February 14th and March 14th also known as White Day similar to South Korea. The woman however, gets to choose her own gift because store bought chocolate doesn't show true love and instead should make something with their own hands.

9. Germany. In Germany, the man gives his lover flowers and love tokens with beautiful messages though this is not strictly for Valentine's day but for all occasions.

10. Spain. The husband gives the wife a bouquet of roses and gifts.

11. Scotland. In Scotland, there is a festival where the single men and women's names get written on pieces of paper and put into a hat. The women pick a name from the hat with the men's names and same for the men. Once all the names are matched up, the men give gifts to the women and the women in return pin the name of their lover to their heart or their shirtsleeve. Valentine's day gifts are given by both people as a love token or some other form of appreciation.

There were many other countries not on this list but in the end I came to the conclusion that all of these countries have something in common. That is the expression of love in all of its' forms.