America The Beautiful: Part 3 Of 5

America The Beautiful: Part 3 Of 5

The top things to do in the Western United States!

47
America The Beautiful: Part 3 Of 5

The United States is so vast, with each state having unique characteristics and sites to see. It is a country filled with history and beauty, which can be found throughout National Parks, museums, monuments, and within towns. Over the next few weeks, I will be writing about things to do in each state and what makes each state unique!

Looking for things to do in the Northeastern United States? Check out part one of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 1 of 5

The Southeastern United States? Check out part two of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 2 of 5

This week, we are heading to the West Coast of the United States! Here are things to do in the Western United States:

1. Washington

Perhaps one of the most well-known sight to see in Washington is the Space Needle. Inside the Space Needle, you can dine in a rotating restaurant, which offers spectacular views of the city. While in Seattle, you can also check out Pike Place Market, catch a ballgame at Safeco Field, visit Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, visit the first Starbucks, or take a ride on Seattle's Great Wheel. Want to spend some time in nature? Visit Mount St. Helens, an active stratovolcano or Mount Rainer National Park, home to an active volcano that has the most glaciated peak in the continental United States. While at Mount Rainer National Park, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and wildflowers, go for a hike, go canoeing, go for a bike ride, camp, ski, or even climb to the summit of the volcano!

2. Oregon

One of the most beautiful places to visit in Oregon is Crater Lake National Park. Crater Lake was formed 7,700 years ago when a violent volcanic eruption triggered the collapse of the towering volcano. At the National Park, you can swim in the lakes, go for a hike, view wildlife, camp, or just enjoy the natural beauty of the Park. Other scenic and breathtaking parks include Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, Cannon Beach, Mount Hood National Forest, Oregon Caves National Monument, and Oregon Coast Trail.

3. California

The Golden State is filled with many interesting and exciting things to do and see! For many, the best way to see everything and enjoy a scenic drive is to start the trip in either the northern or southern part of the state and travel along the Pacific Coast Highway. In San Francisco, popular places to visit include the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, Chinatown, Golden Gate Park, and the Painted Ladies Homes, which appear in the opening credits of Full House. In Los Angeles, popular places to visit include the Hollywood Sign, historic Dodger Stadium, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Rodeo Drive, and Santa Monica Pier. Just South of Los Angeles is San Diego home to the San Diego Zoo, La Jolla Cove, the Hotel del Coronado, Sea World San Diego, and Fiesta Island Park. Also worth noting are Malibu Beach, Sequoia National Park, the Redwood Forest, and Yosemite National Park.

4. Nevada

Whenever one thinks of Nevada, he or she automatically thinks of Las Vegas! While there is plenty to do in the "Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada" such as visit the casinos, see great shows, ride the New York-New York roller coaster, transport yourself to Italy in a relaxing gondola ride, ride the world's tallest Ferris Wheel, or relax by the pools, there is more to do in Nevada. There are plenty of beautiful outdoor areas such as Lake Tahoe, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Valley of Fire State Park, the Hoover Dam, and Lake Mead.

5. Idaho

Idaho, the United States' largest producer of potatoes, is also filled with many natural landscapes such as Shoshone Falls, Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve, Priest Lake State Park, Balanced Rock and Balanced Rock Park, Snake River Canyon, and the St. Anthony Sand Dunes. However, if you are looking to just relax, Idaho has many hot springs including Lava Hot Springs, Burgdorf Hot Springs, Kirkham Hot Springs, Gold Fork Hot Springs, the Springs, and Roystone Hot Springs. These Springs have various baths, pools, and areas where you can enjoy the natural hot water. When weather permits, there are also various areas for skiing and even a sleigh ride!

6. Utah

Like Idaho, Utah is filled with many natural landscapes as well. Many of these landscapes are crimson rock structures with diverse, rugged terrain. However, there are many paths and areas perfect for visitors of any skill. Some of these natural landscapes include Zion National Park, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef National Park, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and Dead Horse Point State Park. During the winter, Utah also boasts some of the best skiing areas in the country!

7. Arizona

Arizona is home to one of the seven natural wonders of the world, the Grand Canyon. In order to truly understand and appreciate the beauty and vastness of the Grand Canyon, one must see it in person. Pictures do not do this natural formation justice. While at the Grand Canyon, you can hike along trails, go rafting in the Colorado River, look for wildlife, or just enjoy time outdoors. Just South of the Grand Canyon is the town of Sedona. Sedona is filled with natural red rock formations, which can be seen throughout the town. While in Sedona, be sure to visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross, a beautiful Roman Catholic chapel built into the rock formations. Also worth visiting in Arizona are the Petrified Forest, Antelope Lower Canyon, Parts of Route 66, Sabino Canyon, and the Four Corners. The Four Corners can technically be visited while in Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico. When you visit this area, you can stand where the corners of all four of these states meet.

8. New Mexico

Just North of "Old Mexico", New Mexico which parts of were actually a sea 250 million years ago, has many interesting and unique places to visit. Because of New Mexico's "sea phase", Carlsbad Caverns National Park was formed. Other things to do include visiting White Sands National Monument, the Sandia Peak Tramway, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, Palace of the Governors, the Museum of International Folk Art, Aztec Ruins National Monument, the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, and Pecos National Historical Park.

9. Hawaii

Although not part of the mainland United States, Hawaii is still located in the West. Hawaii is composed of eight main islands and has the most isolated population center in the World! Of the eight, only six are open to tourists. There are different things to do and see on each island, so many choose to "island hop". This can be done by taking a short flight to the next island or in some cases you can access them by ferry. For those looking to just get a taste of each island, a cruise may be suitable for you. Some of the top things to do include visiting Panaluu Black Sand Beach, Diamond Head, going to a Luau, visiting the USS Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki Beach, the Dole Plantation, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Rainbow Falls, and Makawalena Beach. No matter what you choose to do, Hawaii is filled with beautiful beaches, natural landscapes, volcanoes, and history!

10. Alaska

Like Hawaii, Alaska is not attached to the mainland United States and is full of beautiful natural landscapes. For some, a cruise may be the best option to get a taste of different parts of "The Last Frontier." Alaska is home to the highest mountain peak in North America, Mount McKinlely or Denali. At Denali National Park, you can hike, ride a bike, or just enjoy the natural beauty of the park. While in Alaska, you can also view the Northern Lights, go dog sledding, take scenic drives or walks, go kayaking, take a bear viewing tour, or go fishing, just to name a few things. The Last Frontier should certainly be first on your travel bucket list!

Stay tuned for Part Four!!