5 U.S Olympic Women That Are Bringing Girl Power To A Whole New Level

Winning doesn't just mean you are the best, it means changing the world.

15
http://www.today.com/news/women-final-five-gymnastics-love-each-other-lot-it-gives-t101838

Who runs the world? Well, it's women in the Rio 2016 Olympics. Not only that, but I am proud to say that women from my country are kicking butt and have shown this world that winning doesn't mean you're the best, it means hard work and changing the world.

1. We've got the Final Five made up of five gymnasts with the ultimate determination. These ladies have not only won the team gold, but our hearts as well. Nothing and no one was going to tear these five ladies down. They came into Rio and took it by storm. Simone Biles, the all-around champion and gold medalist, is a tiny beast that puts the term "stick it" in it's place. Aly Raisman, the silver medalist in all-around, brought us all tears as she showed us "second times the charm." These five gymnasts are empowering little girls and grown women all over the world that you can follow your dreams.

2. Simone Manuel, the first African American female swimmer to win an Olympic gold medal! Not only that, but her reaction to winning the race and getting gold has won people's hearts all over the world. Simone has made history not only for herself but for so many other girls across the world. She said, "This medal is not just for me. It's for some of the African Americans who have been before me and been inspirations. I hope I can be an inspiration for others. This medal is for the people who come behind me and get into the sport."

3. Ibtihaj Muhammad, a Muslim-American woman with the determination to show the world that a Muslim-American woman can succeed and win. She is the first Olympian to wear a hijab while competing in her sport: fencing. She is now a bronze medalist. She wants to show the world that Muslim women have voices, she wants to break that cultural norm not only within the Muslim community but also around the world. She said, “It’s a blessing to represent so many people who don’t have voices, who don’t speak up, and it’s been a really remarkable experience for me.”

4. Kristin Armstrong, a cyclist who shows us age is just a number. Winning gold for the third time, she has become the first person ever to win the same cycling event three times in a row, and the third oldest woman, at 42, in Olympic history to win an individual event. She's inspiring moms, women and people all over. "I think that for so long we've been told that we should be finished at a certain age. And I think that there's a lot of athletes out there that are actually showing that that's not true."

5. Katie Ladecky, one of the first woman to absolutely sweep not only the 200m freestyle but the 400m, and 800m as well. She is the youngest of the U.S swim team. In Rio, she has won four gold medals so far and broke her own world record in the 800m freestyle finishing in 8:04.79. She was 11 seconds ahead of second place. A little speed demon with the utmost determination and will power. She is only 1 out of 3 women in the U.S who have won four gold medals in a single olympics. "I’ve just had a lot of fun this week not only in the pool but just with my teammates. The memories mean more than the medals to me here. I’m just so proud of my teammates and what we all have accomplished this last week.”