Unlock Your Lens

Unlock Your Lens

Just because you may be "out of" personal goals, doesn't mean its time for a break.

34
Unlock Your Lens
The Retrofit Source

We all get a life, and the freedom to live it however we see fit, and to write our stories with memories and experiences that shape us as people. We are born to people whose similar faces and beliefs stay with us as we grow into our own personalities and beings. We develop opinions and characteristics that will continue to affect our decisions for the rest of our lives. The average person is given opportunities to go through thirteen years of schooling, and some of us are lucky enough to be able to continue our education through college and possibly graduate school. From the time we are capable of remembering, we spend the next 17-21 years, approximately, learning new material and gaining an education so that we can pursue a career in something we are passionate about, and that pays well; so we can support ourselves and our families.

Not everybody is able to get the full experience and opportunity of an education, a passionate career, and a large paycheck. It is difficult to pursue an education in a field where you lack the passion, but you're driven by the income that you'll eventually receive. Just as it is also difficult and concerning to pursue a major that you love and brings you happiness, but you know, you may struggle financially or possibly not be able to find a job. These are things that will always be an issue and unfortunately, we may have to sacrifice that thick paycheck, or our happiness, to be content.

This isn't it, though. We do inevitably spend a large chunk of our lives surrounded by schooling and money but that is only a small part of our existence. Sure, these things are important and are the less specific generalization of who we are as people and they do affect other aspects of our lives, but too many people quit after the step of finally achieving a job.

Some choose work as their total focus and others may choose family. Some people, however, are quite gifted in staying sane and keeping a focus on all aspects of their life including both work and family. I commend the people who continue doing both, for not falling into the lazy or less driven category, as so many people have. The world is ever changing and it is filled with endless opportunities, and there are always more experiences, to be had. Try something new, learn something new, be somebody new, or befriend somebody new. Life isn't supposed to be boring, and you're not supposed to sit back and get comfy!

This is not to say that it is wrong to be content with your life or who you are as a person, but be something bigger than yourself. We spend the first quarter to half of our lives forming ourselves as people and developing our lives and situations. Our main focus is creating ourselves, but what happens after? As a 19-year-old, who is still creating herself and focusing on achieving a successful future life, I am constantly seeing so many adults who are already there and have been for years and that's all they have. It's a constant cycle of work and family day in and day out. If you're somebody who is content with that, then be my guest and continue your cycle. But my issue comes with the lack of motivation that sets in once all the normal achievements are met. Just because you may be "out of personal goals", doesn't mean its time for a break.

We are human beings that are capable of more things than we will ever actually even know. Go out and explore and discover new opportunities. Don't ever be able to say "I wish I did that". There is no reason why you can't do something. If you want it, work for it. Live your life to the absolute fullest, and don't put your pen down, not even for a second because there are no breaks.

You may have achieved your goals but there are people out there that have not, or who might not even get the opportunity to try. Be something bigger than yourself. We grow up with a lens that is strictly on ourselves, to keep us in line and get us where we need to be, but we are allowed to sometimes alter the view through that lens onto something else, somebody else. Go out and create new experiences, and maybe help somebody else in the process. It's a win-win, whats wrong with that?

Help people, create, discover, find new passions and hobbies, and never ever stop imagining the endless capabilities of a human life. We may have grown up with a locked lens, but when we finally discover that we've held the key all along, why not use it?