University Of Cincinnati Dance Team Recognized As Team USA For Fourth Consecutive Year

Three seniors, Amanda Kalista, Courtney Dang and Lauren Hawkins, weigh in on the exciting news.

118
Amanda Kalista

The University of Cincinnati Dance Team (UCDT) is due to leave for the ICU World Cheerleading Championships, better known as the Dance Worlds, Tuesday, April 19, representing team USA. The dance team will compete on Thursday, April 21, and return back to Cincinnati on Saturday, April 23.

In January 2016, the UCDT attended Dance Nationals in Orlando, Florida, where they placed second in Pom and third in Hip-Hop in the D1A division. Earlier in the season, the dance team lost all three of their coaches, which was a mental undoing for many of the girls.

“We truly felt accomplished just by taking the floor and showing everyone how hard we had worked despite the fact we lost our entire coaching staff," said Amanda Kalista, a third year and senior on the team. "It wasn’t about winning for us. It was about sharing our passion for dance, for each other and the amount of hard work that went into the entire journey to Nationals. There were people who thought we wouldn’t even be competing at Nationals this year – and to double medal for the first time since 2013 was so rewarding.”

University of Cincinnati Dance Team after placing second in Pom and third in Hip-Hop.

UCDT, comprised of 26 girls, has been doing a great deal to prepare for the 2016 Dance Worlds, including, but not limited to, conditioning in order to maintain considerable stamina, strength and execution for their dancing. UCDT will be competing in the Hip-Hop division that usually has about 15 different countries. However, at the ICU World Cheerleading Championships as a whole, there will be about 109 countries competing. I asked Lauren Hawkins, a senior on the team, how this year is different than the rest.

“Even though there are so many of us, we still have an incredible bond," Hawkins said. "Something different about this team this year is the athleticism and incredible determination. We have a lot of first years on the team, and these girls are talented! You show them a trick, and they get it on the first try. Also, our team, as a whole, has so much drive. We set our minds to something, and we accomplish it no matter what."

University of Cincinnati Dance Team 2015-2016

In years past, UCDT has competed at the ICU World Cheerleading Championships in both the Hip-Hop and Pom categories.

“The focus is a lot different from Nationals because we already have the routine complete," said Courtney Dang, senior and fourth year on the team. "We try to spice it up in certain parts of the routine, so it looks even better at Worlds. I like focusing on one routine because we definitely can get a lot of things accomplished without being rushed or pressured to perfect it as soon as possible, so we can move onto the other routine.”

UCDT has been thrown through many obstacles thus far this season, and it didn’t stop at Nationals. The rules and regulations are different at Worlds, Dang said. UCDT is required to make their routine longer, which means they have to add more music and choreography. Dang explained it is tough trying to figure out where it would be a good place to add the new music and choreography or what sections of the routine could use some improvement.

“Nothing too challenging that we can’t do," Dang said, "but in the end, it will better ourselves and our routine.”

Lauren Hawkins, (Left) and Courtney Dang (Right)

Since UC’s Dance Team is solely competing in just the Hip-Hop category, they have been communicating with Hofstra University Dance Team, who is competing in the Pom division at the ICU World Cheerleading Championships. Both teams are representing Team USA, but in different categories. While each team has been practicing at their own university, they have a GroupMe where they send each other words of encouragement, funny pictures and anything else to get each other excited for the upcoming competition when they will finally get to meet each other.

Although both Dance Nationals and the ICU World Cheerleading Championships are held in Orlando, Florida, they are very different from one another. I asked Dang how the atmosphere and mood is different from Nationals.

“The atmosphere is extremely different because we are surrounded by foreign teams that are just happy to be in the United States," Dang said. "You can just feel how the mood is a lot lighter than Nationals – everyone is so friendly.”

Amanda Kalista, Senior

Kalista explained how UCDT is honored to have the opportunity to represent U.S. Hip-Hop at the ICU World Cheerleading Championships yet another year.

“Our team has a special bond this year," Kalista said. "Each team member has really adopted our 'team not me' motto, which made us stronger than ever. This team is more of a sisterhood, and the love we have for one another can be seen through dancing.”

Dang chimed in. “Being part of this program is such an honor and big accomplishment in my life," she said. "It’s a huge privilege to be chosen for the fourth year in a row to represent the country, and it’s really exciting.”

All three seniors want to thank everyone who has supported them this year and are grateful for such a positive and encouraging support system.

“A special thank you to Jen Bernier, Morgan Deitsch and Toria Douglas for all your help this season – we love you guys.”

You can watch the ICU World Cheerleading Championships at cheerunion.org.