I Found Love When I Least Expected It

I Found Love When I Least Expected It

And it was one of the best things that ever happened to me

476
I Found Love When I Least Expected It
Charlsley Carey

If you had asked me a few years ago if I would have ever found love, my answer would have been no and that I was better off with just my cats. In high school, while all of my friends went through a multitude of boyfriends, I didn't have one. Though, it wasn't like I wasn't trying. I was... desperately. Freshman year I tried to date a guy who refused to ask me out because my parents had a rule that I wasn't allowed to go out on dates until I was 16 and he found that to be a turn off. Then, when I got over him I found another guy who thought it'd be funny to play with my feelings and even pranked me on Valentine's Day to make me think he was going to ask me out but he really never did because he liked more than one girl and did not know who to choose (in the end, he didn't pick either of us). Then, I liked a really close friend of mine who told me he was going to ask me out... then proceeded to ask someone else out. Junior year, I had a crush on a boy who liked to talk to me about how he had a crush on a different girl; he never picked up the hints I liked him.

Needless to say anymore, my high school dating track record was not going so well for me. That was... until senior year. It was the summer before senior year and I decided to start texting that same boy I had a crush on junior year. I wasn't sure if he still had a girlfriend so I wasn't flirty in my text messages; I'm not some homewrecker. But after sending a few texts back and forth, that guy blew me off. He responded with one word answers, then eventually stopped texting me at all.

Honestly, I was heartbroken. Not because I was in love with him or something, but because I thought nobody would ever love me. I mean, what was wrong with me? I thought I was decent looking with an okay personality. I mean, I had a really good sense of humor... But, no guys were really interested.

Then, one day love found me when I had given up on it. The boy who blew me off texted me and told me he had been thinking about me and wanted to hang out. Then, when we hung out that boy asked me to be his girlfriend and we're coming up on our three year anniversary.

He taught me so many things. He taught me how to play his favorite video games, he taught me stuff about my car, and he even taught me how to wink. But, he also taught me so much more meaningful things. Things like how love finds you when you have given up on it. It rarely finds the person actively pursuing it. Rather, it finds the person who has decided love is pointless and that it does not exist. It really is funny just how love works. It's crazy, out of the ordinary and a whirlwind; but, it is also one of the best things in life you can choose to do.