13 NBA Players Who Are Total Slam Dunks, Deserving Of More Recognition Than They Receive

They may be overshadowed by others, but these players don't get enough credit for their greatness.

276
Instagram

Nearly every generation of NBA players has a few players who dominate the league and prevent others from getting the accolades they may deserve. From the days of Bill Russell's Celtics to Michael Jordan's Bulls, there have been many great players who were overshadowed or do not get the credit they deserve.

13. Joe Dumars

Michael Jordan didn't win a title until his seventh year in the league, running into roadblocks like Larry Bird's Celtics and Joe Dumars' Detroit Pistons. When people think of the "Bad Boy" Pistons, most think of the leader, Isiah Thomas. But the one who actually had to guard Michael Jordan was Joe Dumars. His defense was good enough to be named to 5 All-Defensive Teams from 1989 to 1993. Dumars contributed to two titles with Detroit, and he won the 1990 Finals MVP.

12. Sam Jones

The 1960s Celtics may be far too old for any NBA fan to be alive for. Most casual fans would be able to recall Bill Russell, who was known for his defensive prowess and rebounding. But somebody had to score, right? Alongside Tommy "The Hawk" Heinsohn, Sam Jones led the team in scoring throughout most of the decade. Jones averaged as high as 26 points per game in 1965. Sam Jones with 10 NBA championships is second only to his teammate, Russell. He may not be remembered as well as other guards like Oscar Robertson or Jerry West, but 10 rings don't lie.

11. Elvin Hayes

Elvin Hayes spent most of his prime in the 1970s when the NBA had great parity with 8 different franchises winning in the decade. "The Big E" averaged at least 20 points and 10 rebounds per game for his first 12 years in the league. Hayes' best quality may be his durability. In his 16 seasons, he played all 82 games in 8 of them. In fact, he only missed 9 games in his whole career. Hayes won the title in 1978, was a 12-time All-Star, made 6 All-NBA teams, and played alongside Wes Unseld to form one of the most potent frontcourts of all time.

10. Dennis Johnson

Dennis "DJ" Johnson found success early in his career in Seattle, winning a championship and making 4 All-Star teams and one All-NBA First Team. Then he sacrificed his game to play with Larry Bird and the Celtics. Johnson won two championships in his first three years with the Celtics. Johnson improved his defense with the Celtics and found a spot on four All-NBA Defensive Teams from 1983 to 1987. DJ probably won't make anybody's top 5 point guard list, but he was an integral part of the Celtics' title runs in the 1980s.

9. Isiah Thomas

Isiah Thomas

Isiah was one of the best small point guards to ever play, but sometimes he gets lost because Magic Johnson was arguably the best point guard in the 1980s. But in the 1989 NBA Finals, Isiah's Pistons swept Magic's Lakers. To be fair, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was 42 and in his last year. But Isiah led one of the best squads in NBA history, the "Bad Boy" Pistons. The squad that gave trouble to anyone they came across, including Michael Jordan.

8. Chris Paul

Chris Paul laughing Chris Paul is the only active player on this list, so he still has time to build on his legacy and *cough cough* win a championship. Many recognize CP3 as a great point guard, but I don't think enough NBA fans realize we are watching a top-five guard of all time. Chris Paul is just 6'0", and he's not as explosive as a prime Derrick Rose or a Russell Westbrook. But he does lead extremely efficient offenses. To grasp CP3's greatness, look at advanced stats. Chris Paul is the all-time leader in offensive rating, 12th in offensive win shares, and ninth all-time in assists. What more could you ask out of a point guard? CP3 doesn't have a ring, but he has a great team in Houston, and that team could land LeBron James in the offseason.

7. Walt "Clyde" Frazier

Walt Frazier won't blow you away with his 19 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists stat line, but his impact was felt more as a floor general and a lockdown defender, making seven-straight NBA All-Defensive teams from 1969 to 1975. Frazier led the Knicks to the franchises' two championships, defeating the Los Angeles Lakers with Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West in 1970 and 1973. Frazier might be best known for his Game 7 performance in the NBA Finals against the Lakers in 1970. Star center Willis Reed went down with an injury, and Frazier put the team on his back with 36 points, 19 assists and 6 steals.

6. Dominique Wilkins

Dominique Wilkins is known for being one of the NBA's first great dunkers and most athletically-gifted players. Wilkins never won a title since he had to go up against the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons and Bulls all in their primes. That's a pretty good excuse to be ringless. But Wilkins held his own, too. Dominique averaged over 25 points per game for 9 years in a row in Atlanta. Wilkins made 7 All-NBA teams and 9 All-Star games. Dominique has an impressive career point total of 26,668, which is good enough to be 13th all-time.

5. Hakeem Olajuwon

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is one of my favorite players of all time. His footwork and finesse in the post may be the best of all time. If you're looking for a modern-era center who is an ace at offense and defense, then Hakeem is your guy. Olajuwon averages 22 points and 11 rebounds for his career and is the all-time leader in blocked shots. He ranks 13th all-time in defensive rating, 19th all-time in overall win shares and 4th all-time in defensive win shares. His talents did not go to waste when he lead his team to a championship in 1994 and 1995, beating the likes of Patrick Ewing's Knicks and Shaq's Orlando Magic. Shaq has high praise for The Dream, saying Hakeem was the one player he could never intimidate.

4. Alex English

To put it simply, Alex English was one of the greatest scorers of all time. He averaged between 21 and 30 points for the entire decade of the 1980s, good enough to be the top scorer of the decade. Not only was he a prolific scorer, he did so above 50% in nearly every season. Unfortunately for him, his prime collided with that of Magic Johnson's, so English and the Denver Nuggets made the NBA Finals. But English's 25,613 points are good enough for 18th all-time.

3. Charles Barkley

Sir Charles Barkley may now be known as the goofball on Inside the NBA on TNT, but back in the day he was one of the greatest to ever play. Though he was a power forward, Charles was listed as 6'6" (he says he's closer to 6'4"), so he was giving up about six inches of height to the big men whom he played against. But he earned his "Round Mound of Rebound" nickname by achieving double-digit rebounds in every year of his career except his rookie season. He even led the league in rebounding in 1987, just his third season in the league. Barkley also had an impressive field goal percentage, hitting as high as 60% from the field in 1990. Sir Charles isn't much for advanced stats, but they make him look even better. Barkley is 13th all-time in win shares, 11th all-time in offensive win shares and 8th all-time in offensive rating. I think one can have a strong argument to say Barkley is the best player to never win a ring.

2. Moses Malone

Moses Malone is even more left out than Hakeem Olajuwon when it comes to the greatest centers of all time. Moses won the championship and the Finals MVP with Philadelphia in 1983 and won the regular-season MVP three times (1979, 1982 and 1983). Malone was a 12-time All-Star, and he ranks 16th in both overall and offensive win shares. Moses, at the conclusion of his career was one of the leading scorers of all time, and his 27,409 career points still sits at 9th all-time. But with Karl Malone (no relation) having a great career, too, Moses will probably not even be seen as the best Malone in NBA history.

1. Tim Duncan

Tim Duncan

Tim Duncan is widely-regarded as the best power forward of all time. But at times he gets left behind some centers when people make their all-time lists, and I'm not sure why. Duncan had one of the best careers of all time, not just among big men. Duncan has five NBA championships from 1999 to 2014. Here's a list of players who won at least one championship in three different decades: Tim Duncan. That's it. Some players fizzle out at the end of their careers, but Duncan stayed relevant all 19 years. Looking at advanced stats, Duncan ranks second all-time in defensive win shares, seventh all-time in overall win shares, and third all-time in defensive rating. He made 15 All-NBA teams, 15 All-NBA Defensive Teams and 15 All-Star games along with back-to-back MVPs in 2002 and 2003. He may be the most boring NBA superstar ever, but he could be the best big man ever.