Ugly Truth About HS Marching Band

The Ugly Truth Behind High School Marching Band

Let's stop making all of it seem so fantastic.

3979
Personal Photo

This article isn't meant to discourage anyone from band, nor is it to bash any writers who do write about all the cute, fun times in marching band. I'm also not here to say that this is how every marching band is. I'm here to tell you the ugly truths I have experienced so I can bring these things to light.

Every time I see one of those cute articles about how "You have a family of 100 plus people!" I just kind of roll my eyes and sigh really loud. It's aggravating. I remember being an upcoming rookie in marching band and scouring all kinds of articles about how marching band really is.

And, just like this article, they were all very personal and they all varied from band to band. Being honest, most of them are the same. They all talk about how great it is and how much fun you'll have and how the worst thing you'll go through is slight dehydration. I'm here to tell you about the ugly parts of band.

I want people to know that marching band isn't always perfect.

Let's start off with the whole "one big, happy family" thing. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but it makes band seem like you're all so close to each other when in reality half of you can't stand each other. There are sections that will be so mean to each other, people will leave.

There are people so mistreated by upperclassmen and other band members that they quit band completely. There are always people yelling at each other and snapping at other members. Whether it's because someone didn't step off correctly, someone moved at attention, or even over something as stupid as a reed. This happens especially towards the middle and end of the season.

Everyone's tired. Tired of repeating the same things over and over, tired of being at practices, tired of each other. Marching band almost never feels like a "big, happy family" because we aren't always happy. It gets hot, people get cranky. People get tired, they get cranky.

You won't always love your band directors. Yes, you'll always hold a connection to them, but you won't always just love the sight or sound of them. Maybe your directors are labeled as the "band dads" or "band moms" but they're still the ones who make you repeat the same two sets of drill thirty times and tell you that you don't need a water break. They still yell at you, whether things are your fault or not.

They still go off on hour long tangents where they blame you for wasting too much time. It's just the way some bands are. It's okay for things to be this way because the whole "happy family" connotation can be debunked.

You won't want to go to every practice. You won't always look forward to getting out of class to go stand out in the heat for hours. You won't always want to go outside, you won't always want to see the rookies, you won't always want to play the same music you've been playing for months. Things won't always be cheery and happy, that isn't how marching band is.

Marching band means hard work. Marching band means staying up super late and getting up super early. Marching band means pouring sweat and inhaling guard glitter. Marching band means seeing people you can't stand. Marching band means seeing people who can't stand you.

Marching band is tough. Marching band isn't always fun. Marching band is aggravating. Marching band doesn't always have a happy ending.