The Truth Behind the Freshman 15

The Truth Behind the Freshman 15

My experience and what I learned from it.

30
The Truth Behind the Freshman 15
Melissa Y. Paredes

You’ve probably heard of the Freshman 15. It’s the term used to describe the weight gain experienced by many college students during their first year. You may find yourself worrying about it before you even start college, declaring you won’t become another one of its victims. And maybe, just maybe, you won’t be. But, more than likely you’ll become like most of us returning college students, subjected to the sudden weight gain that’s almost a rite of passage during your college years.

The change of environment, routine and the sudden freedom are all factors of the Freshman 15. When I first gained weight, it was so sudden and I was completely unprepared. Clothes weren’t fitting and my parents quickly noted that I was chubbier when I visited home. Before I started school, I had told myself I wasn’t going to be like all those college kids who gain a lot of weight at school. Man, was I wrong. I went from fitting into a size 8 to not being able to squeeze into a size 12. It lowered my self-esteem and fed insecurity. I was chubby in my tweens and spent most of my teen years feeling very self-conscious about it. I ended up losing a ton of weight when I started high school and I was proud of it. It’s what boosted my confidence senior year and entering college. So when I gained all that weight in a matter of months, it hit me hard. I was depressed, though most people wouldn’t have known. I hated looking at myself in the mirror. I hated school food. I hated shopping for clothes only to be frustrated when nothing fit. I had definitely gained more than 15 pounds, but it had happened so quickly that I didn’t know what to do.

After my first year, I had a new resolve. Sophomore year, I cut out so many things from my diet. I strictly limited myself in the cafeteria when it came to fried food and desserts. I quit drinking soda and juice, limiting myself to coffee and water. I refrained from ordering food when my friends wanted Chinese at midnight. I learned so much self-control. Then I started exercising. I had a busy schedule, so I didn’t have a lot of time, but every morning I would wake up two and a half hours before my first class so I could exercise. I had to discipline myself because it was hard to wake up so early sometimes. For the most part, I stuck to it and when summer rolled around again, I hit the gym as often as I could. I ended up losing 30 pounds. Now, back at school, I haven’t been exercising, my schedule hardly allows any free time. I still watch what I eat, avoiding the mistakes I made freshman year. I still struggle with self-image, but I’m definitely much more confident than I was. I’ve learned to love my body and stop beating myself up for not looking a certain way or fitting a specific size.

So if you’ve also been subjected to the dreaded Freshman 15, just know you’re not alone. My weight gain freshman year placed me at the heaviest I have ever been and the lowest point of my self-esteem. But I stopped feeling sorry for myself and I did something about it. I’m not saying to turn into some health lunatic. It’s definitely okay to indulge yourself every now and then. But overall, just pay attention to what you’re doing to your body. To all freshman and soon-to-be freshman, please take care of yourself. College can be stressful. You’re going to learn so many new things, about yourself and the world around you. You’re going to be exposed to so much. Again, pay attention to what you’re doing yourself, especially since your family might not always be there to tell you otherwise.

Make sure you’re getting a well-balanced diet (as difficult as it may be), drink LOTS of water, SLEEP and make sure you manage your stress levels. Too many young people go into college not understanding that all these factors can seriously affect your health and change your body. I didn’t gain all the weight from eating pizza every day (though I probably DID eat a little too much pizza), it was a combination of so many things. I wish I had better prepared myself for what college was going to do to me. But I’ve definitely learned better by now. I know now have a greater appreciation for my body, and myself and I hope that the Freshman I come to know are able to learn from my mistakes. My greatest hope is for everyone to love themselves, no matter size they are.