sorority rush

3 Things I Wish I Knew About Sororities Before Rushing

Recruitment is coming in hot, ladies.

224
Grace Vazquez

I absolutely love my sorority, as well as Greek life as a whole. However, there are things I wish I knew going into it. It's a mysterious process that contains so much unspoken information, so I decided to shine some light on the lifestyle (because yes, it is a lifestyle). While these are facts you should take into consideration, I highly recommend you still give Greek life a try. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where you will be apart of something bigger than yourself and, in turn, grow into an amazing woman. The following are important tips meant to aid you throughout your recruitment journey.

1. It is extremely time consuming

When going through recruitment a question that is often asked is "will I have time to do Greek Life as well as other things?" and the answer is always "of course!" While this is partially true, it's just that, partially. A phrase that most chapters live by is "you only get out of your sorority what you put into it." Some events are mandatory and others are optional, and I'll admit, being absent for the nonmandatory events does give way more time for other things.

Each sorority is different, some may have mandatory events almost daily and others may only have mandatory meetings weekly. It depends on the season as well as how involved your chapter is in society. However, if your chapter has mainly optional events and you do not attend them, you're essentially paying to get a couple free t-shirts and say you're associated with the letters. If you are not willing to commit at least two to three days a week to an organization, then you may want to weigh out your options.

2. Yes, it’s expensive

Again, each chapter is different, especially when it comes to finances. That being said, I am tired of hearing "why would you pay to have friends?!" I have personally seen how much these expenses are in my chapter, my sisters, and I've done research on the topic. There is no way to get around saying they are very expensive, but some organizations may fall on the cheaper side of things. I am in the second least expensive chapter on my campus and it can still seem daunting to look at my bills sometimes, but if you aren't spending a ton on personal items bought through the chapter, your bills will be very low if not nonexistent.

On top of this, some chapters offer amazing payment plans, that is another question a potential new member should be prepared to ask.

3. Friends do not magically appear into your life

When I joined my sorority, there were around 90 girls in my pledge class. In the movies, on Instagram, and basically anywhere else they portray this situation as meaning I instantly had 90 new best friends. However, that is definitely not the case.

I like to associate the phrase about giving to your sorority to get benefits back to this situation. It sounds obvious, but if you do not talk, put yourself out there, or be willing to see things through a new point of view you will not make friends. Yes, I gained +200 sisters the day I joined my sorority. However, it wasn't until I put my shyness aside and put myself out there that they actually began to feel like family (trust me, I tested the instant BFFs theory for months). If you do decide to join a chapter, say yes to all of the opportunities you are given to hang out with sisters. Even if you've never met them, maybe they are in need of a friend just as much as you are.

In conclusion, if you are rushing this year I know you will land in a chapter you were meant to be in. The phrase "trust the process" is one that's absolutely true. I love my sisters and I'm so thankful for them every single day. I hope this helped you prepare for this exciting time in your life. If you're on the fence about rushing, give it a try. Your future self will thank you.