Trump Vs Sanders.... Can The Country Survive?

It baffles the mind for me. With the characteristics of the 2016 Trump uprising, I find it a little disturbing and nobody seems to see it.

24

What will our democracy look like this time next year? If ever we needed a crystal ball now is the time. Once again Bob Dylan's song rings in my ears, "The times they are a-changing." My guess is most Americans are going to watch from the sidelines as the politics of this country take a step left or right depending on the outcome of this circus of an election.

I wasn't surprised by the outcome of the Nevada Caucus; Sanders was the loudest voice in the state as well as probably the country. He screams his message at anyone listening and avoids the personal attack questions just like his possible opponent if he wins the nomination. He has an air about him that makes me feel like we are being bamboozled. He is very intelligent and highly effective at getting young people to listen to him.

Why is it that the millennials are chopping at the bit to get a 78-year-old man with a recent heart attack in the White House? It might be that open promise of removing student debt. The average millennial owes approximately $33,000.00. And Medicare for all leaves this instant gratification generation with an easy fix to the selection of healthcare options.

First off like Trump, Sanders is an outsider at the party he is running. Sanders has refused to declare himself a Democrat. Second Sanders's popularity is along the same lines of Trump's, someone who has been in the media but never really taken seriously. Then there are the cult-like followers that aim at anyone who might disparage their hero. By the way, they were the voters that stayed home in 2016 because he was not the candidate. It is almost like a must for the democrats to nominate him or Trump might as well stay home and stop campaigning because he has it in the bag.

Then, of course, the field of candidates in the Republican race of 2016 is a mirror image of the downfall of the Democrats race in 2020. The Dems love diversity yet look who is left standing weeks before Super Tuesday. What is the most discouraging part of this comparison is that the Russian Government is playing a primary role in this and neither Trump nor Sanders will acknowledge the existence.

My favorite comparison may confuse most but take a minute and think about it. Sanders is a millionaire that likes to pretend he is poor, and we all know Trump squandered his millions away years ago and might have a few dollars left in the Russian banks, but his wealth is as fake as his tan.

It's not that I won't vote for Sanders if he wins the nomination, but as I watched the battle royale that took place in South Carolina this past Tuesday, I heard the voice of reason coming from a candidate that has the realistic view of how this country is losing its power. Mayor Pete Buttigieg's comment, "Imagine what this country will go through in the next few months if there is a Trump vs Sanders election." Can this country survive the two loudest, cranky, speak like it is, hurt their fellow Americans for the sake of their base?

I think it is time that the Republican and Democratic Parties take a deep look at their values, compare them with the men and women representing their party and close shop and start all over again. Get back to the rights of the every day American, not the corporations, or banks, or religious influences. No one wants to believe we will never be the land of the free and the home of the brave, however, our freedom will take a kick in the pants this November unless we wake up and do something about it.