14 Of The Best Shows To Watch On Netflix And Hulu If You Love True Crime
Television Streaming

Everyone loves a good murder story, right?

6434

Let's face it, most of us are fascinated by crime. The how and the why of the vilest and most repulsive acts in society and the twists and turns of solving a crime excite even the most unexcitable of people. Living with three forensic science majors in college has really heightened my awareness of some of the most infamous cases in history, and watching true crime shows have become a sort of past time for us.

Here are 14 of the most entertaining and shocking shows to watch if you love a good crime story, all available at the click of a button.

1. 'Forensic Files' (Netflix and Hulu)

youtube

"Forensic Files" is the wholesome grandpa of true crime TV shows. it's been around since basically the beginning of crime and has some of the most interesting cases out there. Plus, the narrator has the perfect voice to listen to in the background while exercising or studying.

2. 'ABC 20/20' (Hulu)

abc

This real-time crime investigative news show has stories that range from Diane Downs to Ted Bundy and everything in between. All of the stories contain real victims, real witnesses, and real chilling footage. Many of the cases 20/20 highlights are recent, like in the last year recent... incredibly scary.

3. 'Buzzfeed Unsolved: True Crime' (Hulu and Youtube)

amazon

Buzzfeed's best asset is the team behind "Buzzfeed Unsolved." The hosts, Ryan and Shane, have charisma and charm that makes learning about this historically unsolved cases more lighthearted. The long-running Youtube show is also available on Hulu and Amazon Prime, and switches every season between supernatural investigations and true crime unsolved cases.

4. 'The First 48' (Hulu)

mydailynews

This Hulu hit chronicles the first 48 hours of the hunt to solve a crime, which all crime enthusiasts know, are the most important in finding the criminal. The way investigators go about seeking the perpetrators is entertaining, clever, and very satisfying in the end.

5. 'The Act' (Hulu)

lightbox

This new kid on the block TV show is a thriller to say the least. The shows firsts season follows the story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and her incredible history with "medical issues" and her battle with her mother that ultimately ends in murder. New episodes appear on Hulu every Wednesday, and each season will dramatize a different true crime story.

6. 'The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann' (Netflix)

thenewsdaily

This incredibly sad and woeful story of the McCann family and the abduction of their young daughter just recently gained face on Netflix. The case is still unsolved, and has twists and turns like no other you will have seen. If you don't mind a sad and unsolved story, this is a cinematic saga you'll want to pop some popcorn for.

7. 'Criminal Minds' (Netflix)

wetv

OK, if you haven't heard of "Criminal Minds," can you really even call yourself a true crime junkie? This fictional depiction of the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit is probably one of the best TV shows ever concocted. It sucks you in with murder and keeps you around with lovable characters and wholesome plots. It really is worth a watch... or three.

8. 'The Staircase' (Netflix)

topsimages

This crazy case is centered around author Michael Peterson and the "accidental" death of his wife... who fell down a staircase. Though entertaining, this documentary was made in part by Peterson himself, so be aware of bias as you watch. Whatever your opinion is, it's a thriller nonetheless; it's also case NBC's Trial and Error was loosely based on.

9. 'The Confession Tapes' (Netflix)

newonnetflix

Watching convicted criminals lay it all on the table, the how, the why, the what of the terrible evil they committed is entrancing. This series on Netflix chronicles some of the most bone-chilling cases straight from the mouths of those who did it.

10. 'Mindhunter' (Netflix)

crimespreemag

Another FBI Profiling show, this fictional tale draws on real crimes and events to tell the story of two men who can see right into the minds of suspects. 'Mindhunter' has something for everyone, whether you love a good plot or a good murder, there's lots of good to go around.

11. 'Evil Talks: Chilling Confessions' (Hulu)

imdb

Similar to the "Confession Tapes," If you've ever wondered what criminals say in the heat of an interrogation, this is the show for you. Watch real-time footage of criminals breaking under the pressure of the police questionings. It's chilling, yet fascinating. I recommend watching with the lights on.

12. 'The Assassination of Gianni Versace' (Netflix)

gagadaily

Darren Chris. That is all you need to know I order to be encapsulated by this gorgeously created drama chronicling the murder of Gianni Versace. The cinematic beauty alone is worth sticking around for the journey of the characters.

13. 'Cold Case Files' (Hulu)

hulu

This OG of crime TV is right up there with the greats like "Forensic Files" in the quality and peaceful tendencies, plus, it's fascinating. Really worth the time to check out.

14. 'The Keepers' (Netflix)

triad city beat

"The Keepers" is the story of a murdered nun and the crimes of rape and abuse locked behind the closed doors of the Catholic church. It will make you mad, it will make you sad, it will make you change the way you think about the higher ups in the Catholic church. Fair warning, you will need a hug after finishing this gut-wrenching true story of abuse.