5 Of The Best True Crime Shows To Binge On Netflix This Semester

Hopefully, you'll never have to spend 45 minutes picking out your next Netflix binge.

449

If you're like me and have spent the majority of your winter break laying in your bed watching Netflix, then you're probably running out of shows to watch. Truthfully, I've probably spent more time scrolling through Netflix trying to find the perfect thing to watch than actually watching a show. That's why I've compiled a list of some of the best true crime docuseries currently available on Netflix.

1. "Flint Town"

"Flint Town" profiles the police force in Flint, Michigan and their struggles with the growing crime rate. Flint still does not have clean water which makes the conditions the police force work under increasingly difficult. Through one season totaling eight episodes, the filmmakers highlight key issues while also addressing day to day lives of the police officers for two years. This Netflix original brings attention to both the continuing water crisis in Flint, Michigan and how it affects the local government and the citizens of the town.

2. "The Staircase"

"The Staircase" follows the suspicious death of Kathleen Peterson. Consisting of one season totaling 12 episodes, the filmmakers take you through the entire trial from start to finish while providing in-depth interviews with family, as well as the lawyers. Perhaps one of the most interesting series I've ever watched, "The Staircase" had me completely interested within the first ten minutes of watching it.

3. "Making A Murderer"

Another Netflix original, "Making A Murderer" follows the wrongful conviction of Stephen Avery and the blatant corruption in his small town's police force. Made up of two parts, it's super easy to crawl into bed and spend your entire day binge-watching the entire series.

4. "The Innocent Man"

"The Innocent Man" takes a close look at two murders that took place in the town of Ada, Oklahoma in the 1980s. Based upon the book by John Grisham (who provides interviews during the series), the show features several interviews with family members as well as lawyers and members of the prosecution teams. The series, which is made up of six parts, was released on December 14th of last year and has already quickly become popular on Netflix. With the mix of actual footage from the trials and eyewitness accounts, the show is incredibly interesting and will have you hooked immediately.

5. "The Confession Tapes"

"The Confession Tapes" is made up of one season totaling seven episodes. Each one outlining a new case and the methods in which the police officers investigating the case got the confessions. This series shows how easily one can be tempted to provide a false confession and the pressures and stress that come along with being interrogated by police officers. Each episode goes back and investigates a case, from start to finish, where the subjects featured say that their confession was coerced or involuntary in some way. The in-depth interviews mixed with the audio from some of the actual confession tapes makes for an extremely interesting series.

* * *

If you're a fan of true crime and never know what to watch these are the five best options that won't leave you bored halfway through like some series. Hopefully, you'll never have to spend 45 minutes picking out your next Netflix binge.