How True Crime Documentaries Have Affected Me

New career? Yes please.

22
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/netflix?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText

Netflix has recently released new shows and updated seasons of some of this year's most influential true crime series. I have binged both seasons of "Making A Murderer" and keep up with any updates posted on Twitter. I am currently watching "The Innocent Man" with my grandmother, which is extra interesting because of the location of the cases being familiar. What both of these shows have in common is the theme of exposing certain flaws in the United States' criminal justice system as well as the amount of frustration I get while watching how all the cases were handled by local authorities.

I began to be interested in crime shows and documentaries when I was fairly young around the age of ten when I would stay up at night watching hours of "Forensic Files" and seeing how each case was solved. As I got older I was more interested in unsolved cases and always liked the idea of being a detective. I am currently working on a minor in criminology which is honestly the most enjoyable classes I have taken while in college, but after finishing "Making A Murderer" I wanted to be able to do something within our current system. I have looked into adding a minor in criminal justice, but I am still unsure if I will be able to fit it into my schedule.

Anyone who has a conversation with me about the crime shows I watch or even just the true crime videos on youtube I enjoy watching knows, that I get almost overly passionate about these cases, the people involved and most importantly the ultimate truth. I would like to one day be an investigator or detective or even a director on a docu-series as camera work and journalism are also big interests of mine. In the end, if I can successfully help solve just one case that never seemed to go anywhere, I would be more than happy with my work knowing it helped someone else.