I Tried The Odyssey And Found Out It Isn't Just A Resumé Filler

7 reasons you should write for the Odyssey too.

68
theodysseyonline.com

A little over a year ago, I joined yet another club on campus. I was doing everything I could to build my resumé to apply to law school, so I jumped at the opportunity to not only be a part of another club, but also to be a founding and executive member. This club I joined was the Odyssey, the very platform that I used to share this article with you now. I thought I would just help get the Odyssey at the University of Tulsa started before handing it off to the younger classmates. I thought I would just write a few things about what my littles in my sorority mean to me and call it good. I really thought I would find writing an article every week boring or a waste of time, but I could not have been more wrong. Every week I am challenged to create meaningful content. I am supported by a local and national team. I have the freedom to choose what matters to me. Joining the Odyssey team was a great decision, as cliché as that seems, and here's why you should join your local Odyssey chapter, too.

1. You choose what you write.

The Odyssey isn't a typical media outlet in any sense of the word. Creators choose what they write about. No one assigns topics, which means you get to write about what you are passionate about and interested in. I have covered a local election, responded to tragedy, and written a stereotypical love letter to my sorority. The possibilities are endless.

2. Interviews are a breeze.

The Odyssey is definitely more than just a resumé filler, but it also definitely looks great on paper. I recently went through interview rounds for jobs, internships, and law schools, and every single interviewer asked me about my role with the Odyssey. It's powerful and impressive to talk about content you created and shared with Odyssey's vast audience. It's even more impressive when you can say you went viral and 20,000 people read your work.

3. You get better at writing.

I can't think of a single job that doesn't require writing in some capacity. The ability to express yourself and your ideas clearly through writing is a must in all work environments. Publishing an article every week makes you hone your skills. I promise writing for the Odyssey is way more fun than that English class you're considering.

4. You become more aware.

I liked the news before, but now I love following current events. Being an Odyssey writer means you have the opportunity to respond quickly to world events, so you have an interest in staying current. It's awesome to say you were one of the first people to respond to an event that had the whole world talking.

5. You have a portfolio of published works.

Pieces you write for the Odyssey are around forever. Every week when you write an article, it gets added to your portfolio. Having a portfolio at all is super impressive, but building a portfolio throughout college will put you ahead of the game when you get out.

6. You are a thought leader.

Writing about any topic you want means you can lead discussions on the topic and influence public thought. You don't just write about the news; you respond to it, making your writing a lot more meaningful than the rest.

7. Your Odyssey experience is what you make of it.

When you join an Odyssey team, you get out what you put in. I love the topics I write about, and I can see how much better my pieces are now than they were a year ago. I try to be very thoughtful about what I write, and as a result am really happy of the articles I have put together. Taking on leadership positions within the Odyssey can help you grow as a leader, too.

In case you can't tell, I really enjoy being an Odyssey writer. I have the best teammates and editors who are all really supportive. We all encourage one another in our group chat, and if I want to publish a piece on news as it is happening, I can trust my editors to make it happen quickly. You don't have to be an English major or interested in politics to fit in with the Odyssey. All you need is a computer and the desire to be heard. Odyssey does the rest!