A Tribute To My College Boyfriend (My Roommate)

it's about time I wrote about you.

43

Hi Roomie,

Now I know we always joke about how much we do together, how little time we spend apart, and the separation anxiety that follows whenever we go a whole day without seeing each other (Tuesdays in particular).

So here's to you roomie, but keep reading if you're ready for some serious cheese.

First, I want to say, thank you. Thank you for letting me be my ridiculous, annoying, morning person self, even if my coffee maker wakes you up on the daily.

You've taught me a lot, including how to twerk (kind of), how to find good music apart from the Top 40 I used to rely on, and how to live successfully with someone in a 10x14 foot dorm room.

You've taught me what real fashion is, as I only wear your clothes. You've taught me that being capable of humility is a good thing.

You've shown me that being in a sorority is worth it, because I get to be surrounded by women just like you.

You accepted my lame Christmas present gracefully, knowing I didn't have a boyfriend to give it to, and you quickly understood you are fulfilling that role quite nicely.

You, my dear roomie, are quite beautiful even if you don't know it quite yet. You are driven, inspired, motivated, instinctual, and inspirational. You make me grow in ways I wouldn't have if I hadn't met you. I hope I push you to grow in ways, too.

You make me laugh like no one else. Whether you're making fun of me for always peeing before we go anywhere, or when you tell me a story about yet another awkward encounter with a boy, I never laugh harder than when we talk about how uncomfortable and coincidental our lives can be.

You've taught me how to instinctively roll my eyes when someone says something absolutely absurd. You've taught me how to speak telepathically with a simple look.

You've taught me that even when you fall (face first onto Brick dance floor) you can recover with a simple trip to the dentist and a quick filling with only a slight bruise to your dignity (and face).

I've learned that even when I feel lonely, that I always will have you, and that's pretty cool.

I've learned not to talk to you in the morning until I've been spoken to.

I've learned that you're the gal I'm going to write a testimony with senior year, and you're the gal I'm going to be unable to live without after living under the same roof for all four years of college.

I've learned that you sound like you've sprung a leak whenever you laugh, and it's incredibly contagious.

I've learned you hate close contact, but I've somehow managed to hug you whilst naked despite this obstacle.

You've taught me to be happy, in one of the lowest points in my life.

You let me snuggle in your bed with you when I'm sad. This close proximity is unheard of, and I love you for it.

You've taught me that to treat yo' self is crucial, and must happen daily.

You tell me my dance moves are terrible but you never turn down an opportunity to dance it out with me.

You're the gal that I'm going to road trip to see this summer because the thought of saying goodbye for nine months in just a matter of weeks sends me into an immediate panic attack.

You're my go-to, my favorite person to pick on, and the reason why I know I'm in the right place.

And in the words of Samantha Jones, "We made a deal a while ago. Men, babies, doesn't matter. We're soul mates."

Thank goodness for you, roomie babe. Much love for you. xoxo