A Tribute To Michael Phelps

A Tribute To Michael Phelps

Is he really done?

19
A Tribute To Michael Phelps
travelbrazilis.com

So, 20 years ago, Michael Phelps was an 11-year-old boy being dropped off at swim practice, a familiar feeling to many athletes. The world hadn’t heard the name or witnessed the greatness that would soon become the most decorated Olympian in history. He isn’t just a great athlete. He isn’t just the face on a cereal box. The magnitude of achievements Phelps has reached has forever changed not only the sport of swimming, but also all sports in general. In 2000 when Phelps touched the wall in Sydney, nearly missing the podium by two spots, all eyes were on the young 15-year-old trying to prove himself. Although people recognized his raw talent, nobody could have suspected the remarkable career Phelps would come to achieve.

When we think of Michael Phelps, we think most decorated Olympian to ever grace this earth. But even that has lost its meaning. Since 2004, Phelps has not ceased to medal at any of the Olympic games. For 12 years straight, he has competed in the highest caliber swim meet and has stepped foot on the podium each time. At just 19-years-old, he garnered eight medals. Fast forward 12 years and he now has an unprecedented 27 Olympic medals, 22 of them gold (and he still has one more race). Not to mention that he is 31-years-old. That breaks barriers for swimming due to the individuality of the sport. He cannot rely on his teammates to win his individual races; it’s solely up to him. He has time and time again proven himself to be the best swimmer in the history of the sport.

Now swimming has been proven to be an easier sport on the body in regards to age, but that doesn’t take into account that Phelps is now racing men who are 10 years younger and at the peak of their own physicality. Where younger swimmers should have an edge in physical preparedness, Phelps has committed himself to his comeback on a new level. In perspective, he is old for the sport. The older you get, the more you decline in terms of physical state. But this Olympics you see a leaner, more driven and focused, mature Phelps. His age does not define him, but his mental, physical and emotional maturity has lead him to be better than the young kids on the blocks. But there is so much more to his success than just the medals.

Phelps has brought more attention to the swimming world than, I believe, any swimmer will ever bring. He has made a sport that is essentially following a black line from one end to another popular. He has mesmerized not only the rookies and veterans on the Olympic team today, but also just about everyone that has watched him swim. Kids all over the world will look at this man and say, “I want to be like Phelps.” And what has he taught them? Never put a limit on your goals. He has turned himself around from the boy who has had slip ups in the past, to a man that has proven himself a mature individual ready to hang up his cap and goggles with pride.

I have had the honor to meet the greatest swimmer, and in my opinion, one of the greatest athletes to ever live. Phelps, there will never be another swimmer quite like you, and I salute your time and commitment to the swim world.