There Is One Group Being Left Out Of The Sexual Assault Conversation

In the age of the #MeToo movement, some people are being left out of the sexual assault discourse.

48

When we talk or think about sexual assault, we only tend to think about cisgender women, but we often forget about men, the LGBTQ community, especially trans people, and that sexual assault happens to them too.

According to the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey, forty-seven percent of trans people experienced sexual assault at some point in their life.

Earlier this year, Rose McGowan, an actress and feminist, was confronted by a trans woman about her comments about trans women about not being like "regular women" during an interview that she did on RuPaul's "What's the Tea," in July 2017. During the outburst, the trans woman said: "We get raped more often. We go through domestic violence more often." As of 2015, Twenty-one percent of TGQN (Transgender, genderqueer, nonconforming) college students have been sexually assaulted, compared to eighteen percent of non-TGQN females and four percent of non-TGQN males, according to Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct

McGowan responded, "Hold on. So am I. We are the same. My point was, we are the same. There's an entire show called ID channel, a network, dedicated to women getting abused, murdered, sexualized, violated, and you're a part of that, too, sister. It's the same,"

The trans woman then said: "You do nothing for them. Trans women are in men's prisons. And what have you done for them?"

McGowan stated, "What have you done for women?"

It then turned into a shouting match and the trans woman was removed from the Barnes and Noble, where they were, by security.

The transwoman shouted, "cis white feminist."

McGowan got angry and started shouting about not putting labels on her.

However, the moral of the story is: Rose McGowan is a cis white feminist. She does not do anything to support trans women, but she yelled about how women and trans women are the same only after her previous comments against trans women.

The fact of the matter is, feminism is not for marginalized identities, but when confronted, it claims to support everyone.

This situation makes Rose McGowan look bad because she was one of the faces of the #MeToo movement, a movement created by a Black woman with the intent of including every identity.

Men are also affected by sexual assault. According to National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey, about three percent of American males or 1 in 33 have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.

Terry Crews, a former NFL Player and current actor, talked about being sexually assaulted in 2016 by a Hollywood agent in front of his wife. Crews, who supports the #MeToo movement says, "This is how toxic masculinity permeates culture."

As a society, we need to support everyone because sexual assault is real, and it affects everybody. It is a huge issue and there is no room to exclude anyone from standing what they believe is right also to stand for justice.

Terry Crews details alleged sexual assault by Hollywood talent agent www.youtube.com