How To Take Care Of Yourself In The Wake Of Trumps Military Ban

Trans people are not a burden.

22

The morning of 7/26, President Trump announced that the U.S. Military will be banning transgender individuals from serving.

His reason being that "victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail."

This message to the trans community and beyond was distributed over social media and the President has yet to actually speak on the matters. In the wake of such news and language, the Trans community has taken a beating.

I, personally, have had a difficult time placing words on all the emotions running through me. Here are some things you can do to keep yourself well in the face of such events:

1. Take a breath.

I know it's hard right now. I know it's been hard since November. But now, more than ever, we can't allow one tweet to tear down a community that has worked tirelessly to stick together.

2. Gather and listen.

There is nothing more important right now than the support we can gain from one another. It is trans individuals who have kept other individuals and the community alive, no one else. Give yourself a moment to be in safer spaces. Allow yourself to listen to the feelings and stories of those at different intersections of oppression than your own.

3. Reach Out.

Don't ever be afraid to contact someone you think might be having a hard time. No one ever gets upset over, "I love you."

4. Allow yourself to be supported.

This is something I especially have a hard time with. We have been socialized to constantly fight for ourselves. Allow other people to check in on you. Receive love as easily as you are willing to give it. Don't deprive another person the joy of sharing their love.

5. Throw yourself into queer art.

There is nothing that helps me process my own hardships more than blasting Against Me! and reading some Trish Salah. If you can't find the words for your experiences, allow others to do that work for you.

6. Take a break from social media.

As we stand currently, it is very easy to slip into the spiral of fighting your bigoted cousin on Facebook. Just don't. Give yourself a break. Everything will be there when you get back.

7. Take action.

Only if this is healing for you. There is no easier way for myself to gather empowerment than to take to the streets. For a lot of people, direct action is self care. And there are so many ways that you can take action. From organizing in the streets to writing your congressman a letter to spending an hour at your local trans youth shelter, there is always something to be done that fits your comfort level.

The most important thing right now is just to know that you are not alone. There is a vast and wide community that is hurting and gathering at the moment. And if none of that is accessible to you at the moment, online groups are just a click away. Always remember that the Trans Lifeline (877) 565-8860 is available 24/7 and there will always be someone whom you can talk to.