10 Reasons Living In Dorms Is Terrible

10 Reasons Living In Dorms Is Terrible

It's more than just loud neighbors.

326

1. Lack of privacy

We all know that if you have a roommate, you have to split the room. So everything in your life is open. From eating in the caf, to studying in the lounge, to sleeping in the room; every part of your life is shared with someone. That can start to take a toll on people. Many people start to have nightmares of being trapped in fishbowls, or as paintings in museums. That doesn't mean you don't like your roommate, just means that you want some space to yourself.

2. Rude people

This is everyone from the *active* couple above you, to the *very active* couple in the bed next to you (seriously, just don't do it, it's gross), to the guy who's boombox seems to shake the whole building, to the roommate that watches Scrubs while you try to sleep. All these people are really hard to live with. I understand that some people need to get comfortable in different ways, but just try not to be rude about it.

3. Lack of space

Yeah dorm rooms are inherently small. Some dorms are better than others. However, when I say space I mean more like the separate spaces. In my house, at home, I have a reading nook in my bedroom, separate from my “sleeping space” (my bed, nightstand, etc.), separate from my study space, plus there's the kitchen and the craft room. So, I have different spaces for different activities. I like doing that, but in the dorms, you barely have room to put all your stuff in, let alone have segmented spaces. At home, I can have homework out, a book out, and have a craft going on another table. In the dorm? It's one task at a time. I have a lap desk, so I can have a maximum of two things going at once (usually a craft and homework that I bounce between)

4. Crowded Bathroom

This is sort of a weird one, but I am rarely able to take a shower in total privacy (no one coming in the bathroom at all). I am fortunate to be in a suite this year, where the bathroom is two sinks, two toilet stalls, and one shower. But because it is semi public, I worry about the curtain coming open, or people listening to me while I shower (both irrational and unfounded, but phobias none the less). Not to mention that I always feel like I have to rush my showers so that everyone has time for a shower. Not to mention that it's just really weird to brush your teeth with someone else right next to you.

5. Feeling Rude

This ties in with all the others. But I hate to feel like I'm being rude. Is my music too loud? Am I taking too long in the shower? Can I ask my boyfriend's roommate to quiet down when I'm studying with them? Does my roommate think I'm mad at her because I left when she came in? Is it rude to ask for some alone time in the room? For the most part, in my experience, if you are genuinely concerned about any of these issues, then you're probably not being rude. For me, even with that knowledge, I still feel rude every time I fall asleep before my roommate.

6. So. Many. Rules.

Literally. Just. So. Many… quiet hours, how many people you can have in the lounge, and the entire list of forbidden items (and being secretly jealous of those who do get away with it, while secretly hoping they get caught). Like, seriously? No fairy lights(or Christmas lights, as they are commonly known)? And what's wrong with diffusers? They don't have a heating element, it's just smelly oil and reeds! I understand that these rules exist for the comfort and safety of the residents. However, it is still really annoying that I can't have my nice smelling things (like incense and candles).

7. Lack of Pets

I understand why this rule exists, but I also really hate it. I am currently in the process of trying to get an Emotional Support Animal, and while the college does make exceptions for those animals, I have to go through a very lengthy process just to be considered to be allowed. But aside from that, people should be able to just apply to have pets on campus in general. I know plenty of people that this would really help. Animals are proven to help lower stress, and increase productivity. I'm not saying that everyone should be allowed cats and dogs, but a ferret or a bunny? I think those should be fine.

8. Going Stir Crazy

Yes there are ways to leave the dorms and go exploring. However, staring at the same 10 foot by 12 foot room (usually from the same angle), day in, day out; for an entire year makes me wish for the ability to at least go to another (private) room. If you want private(ish) space, you are stuck in that one room. Otherwise you have to go out in public.For me, that stops up my creative flow. At home if I'm feeling bored with my room, I can go into the living room, or the laundry room, or the game room, depends on where my family members (I'm one of six in my household) are habitating.

9. No Kitchen

I love to cook. I had an apartment on campus last year, and I enjoyed cooking so much. I didn't have to rely solely on the caf to provide food, and I could make food any time I wanted. I could make anything I wanted! Brownies at 6AM? Yep. Mashed potatoes at 1AM? Super easy. Muffins at 2PM? Absolutely. (I really liked baking.) Sure. I didn't always want to cook, but the opportunity was always there, and that is just a really nice luxury. I am aware that some dorms have public kitchens, and I have found other public kitchens on campus, but the best part about having your own kitchen is, again, the access, and the option to leave the dishes for later. Not to mention that these public kitchens are rarely free of others, and I hate being crowded in the kitchen.

10. Floor Programs

Quick note: I am in a suite with an RA. She is a good friend of mine, so I totally understand why floor programs exist. However, sometimes I just find them trivial and annoying. The thirty emails that all sound way too chipper, and yet somehow a little passive aggressive. The posters all over the place with bright colors vying for my attention over the other thirty, equally bright, posters from half the clubs on campus. Not to mention that they take so much time, so I can rarely go (I am busy, I don't have time for a ping pong tournament, I have a paper due at midnight). Maybe I just don't want to be around a ton of people right now. Or maybe the floor programs provided are just boring as hell (I've had some really good ones this year, but in the past? Like, C'mon? Come watch a documentary with your whole floor on a Tuesday night? No thanks!) Most RAs understand this, but some just really don't. On the plus side, there is usually free food (aka soda and muchies) Also the memes... some more clever than others...