10 Memphis, TN Destinations You Must Visit Before Death

If you're visiting Memphis, take it from a local that these are the places you don't want to miss.

41
Collin Davis

Memphis, TN is home to many different memorials, art, and places to stuff your face full with delicious food. Many people around the world know about some of the main attractions, yet they miss the greatest parts of Memphis that make fellow Memphians proud of the place from which we hail. As a fellow Memphian, I feel as though it is my duty and privilege to give you the top ten places to visit when traveling to the Bluff City.

1. Bryant's Breakfast

Skip Waffle House and IHOP your first morning (and possibly the rest of your stay) in town and head on over to Bryant's Breakfast on Summer Avenue. Bryant's is a hopping restaurant which is a favorite for many families throughout Memphis. It has been open since 1968 and has received many different awards including being named one of the best places to eat in the U.S. by both USA Today and Esquire Magazine. Breakfast and lunch is available from 5AM-2PM Wednesday through Sunday. Here is a link to the menu with a broad variety of chow to choose from:

Breakfast: http://bryantsmemphis.com/menu-category/breakfast-...

Lunch: http://bryantsmemphis.com/menu-category/lunch/

2. Bass Pro at the Pyramid

The Pyramid in Memphis, once home to our beloved Memphis Grizzlies (until they changed stadiums), was transformed into one of the most extravagant, breathtaking Bass Pro Shops in the entire nation. Hotel rooms, large ponds filled with fish and boats, restaurants, a museum for children to learn about the outdoors, a view from the top of the Pyramid and even bowling can be found inside of the massive southern shop. Even if hunting, fishing, and the outdoors do not appeal to your liking, this store will still leave you in awe.

3. The Peabody Hotel

The Peabody Hotel is a place of beauty and luxury as marble floors, fancy carpet, and wooded high-rise ceilings fabricate the atmosphere. Be sure not to miss the duckmaster and his team of ducks perform the March of the Ducks. The ducks are trained to come out on a red carpet to the water fountain in the middle of the lobby. It is a Peabody tradition. After the show, go to the roof-top for a phenomenal view of downtown Memphis.

4. The Memphis Zoo

The Memphis Zoo is near the downtown area and is home to around 2,800 animals. Our zoo has been voted one of the top zoos in America. There are many different areas to see and learn about the animals. Some of the top favorite places in the zoo would include Teton Trek and Northwest Passage. Shows are packed full of entertainment with performances by sea lions, monkeys, penguins, and more. Our zoo is definitely recommended during your visit in Memphis.

5. The Flying Fish

The Flying fish is a restaurant that serves some of the best catfish and holds “the world’s first Billy Bass Adoption Wall.” When a customer brings in a Billy Bass to give to the restaurant for adoption, the customer will receive a free basket of catfish. Also, he/she will be honored by putting his/her name on a plaque on the wall. If you are not a fan of fish, don’t worry. The Flying Fish also serves chicken tenders and hamburgers as well. The atmosphere of the flying fish is definitely unique. It is not every day that you can be surrounded by walls of Billy Bass fish.

6. Memphis Grizzlies and Memphis Redbirds

The Memphis Grizzlies play a major role in our community. The faces of players can be found on billboards along the sides of the interstate. The Grizzlies seem to bring our community together especially during the playoffs. Once walking in the FedEx Forum (home of the Grizzlies), you will be greeted with excitement and an electrifying vibe all throughout the stadium. Cheers, jeers, and years of support for our Grizzlies help us not only love the sport of basketball itself but also makes the people of Memphis closer. So don’t be surprised to find yourself standing and screaming at the top of your lungs cheering.

The Memphis Redbirds are a minor league baseball team and affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Autozone Park, home of the Redbirds, was voted the top ballpark in America according to Baseball America back in 2009. The Memphis Redbirds do a fine job of showing you America’s favorite past time. While at the game, be sure to grab you a plate of barbecue nachos made by the famous Rendezvous. The crack of the bat and pops of the gloves will fill the city sounds while the smells of corn dogs, funnel cakes, and nachos fill the smells of the air. So kick back and relax. Also, don’t forget to go down to the dugouts to try and get autographs before and after the game, because at some point, you will end up seeing some of those guys playing major league baseball on T.V.

7. Jerry’s Snow Cones

Jerry’s is for sure a Memphis favorite by everyone in the community. Jerry’s is famous all around the mid-south and may be recognized from the movie “Great Balls of Fire.” Everyone has loved this place since it opened back in the 1960’s. This snow cone shack features flavors such as Tiger’s Blood, Wedding Cake, and over seventy other delicious flavors. What separates Jerry’s from any other snow cone place and puts them high up on the boards is that they use something in their snow cones that not many people use—ice cream. Anyone will tell you that you are guaranteed to enjoy what you are about to experience.

8. Shelby Farms

Shelby Farms is one of the largest urban parks in the nation, sitting on 4,500 acres. Deer and bison roam the grounds of the vast woodland. The lakes are filled with fish and turtles while also holding homes for beavers. There is a large playground filled with slides, swings, and a giant jungle gym for kids. This gives children the opportunity to play outdoors while also playing on safe equipment. Shelby Farms was recently renovated and now has a walking track around the main lake. Large wooden chairs with a place to put your feet up can be found in the rest stops along the track. I would definitely recommend Shelby Farms to anyone looking to get a breath of fresh air and especially to parents looking for a place to allow their children to play safely.

9. Barbecue

Almost any restaurant in Memphis sells delicious barbecue. However, the top three barbecue restaurants that are well-known, not only in Memphis but around the world, would be Rendezvous, Central BBQ, and Corky’s. All three of these restaurants give a sweet, smoked taste of Memphis and draw customers in from all around. Just a warning, if you find yourself passing one of these three places and the smell grabs you by the nostrils, go ahead and give in. You’ll be proud of yourself for doing it.

10. The Riverwalk, Harbor Town, and Mud Island

Nothing beats going for a walk down by the Mississippi River. These three places all lay in the same vicinity. The display of the Hernando de Soto Bridge can be seen at all angles of these three places and is quite beautiful when lit up at night. If there is a concert in town at Mud Island, definitely try to go. Mud Island sits in the middle of the Mississippi River which makes the sound of the music bounce off the tall buildings of the city and echo back. Also, Harbor Town has a long patch of grass down by the river where many people enjoy going for a picnic. Be sure to check out these three before leaving the city.

These ten places are just a taste of what the city of Memphis has to offer. There is so much more to do, and I encourage anyone who visits to try something new each time. Here in the 901 as we call it, we have great pride in our city and what it holds for each individual who lives there or visits.