Top 8 Things You Probably Don't Know About Rabbits

Here are some interesting things about rabbits!

3148

I, like many, grew up wanting cats and dogs for pets because besides fish I thought they were the only domestic animals you could own. I was quite obviously mistaken, and at the age of 21 got my first pet on my own; a rabbit named Lola. When I adopted my late Lola, and my current Holland Lop named Yoshi, I read everything I could on rabbits. I have been so surprised learning all of the things I have learned about rabbits, so I've decided to share some of that knowledge with you all! :)

1.Rabbits are extremely social animals - That's right. They're social animals. They like to be around other beings, and usually bond with someone (animal or "hooman" alike) very strongly. Some rabbits will bond to another in what appears to be a romantic way, and if that other bun passes away the other rabbit in the bonded pair can actually die from a broken heart! Well, not really a broken heart, but the bun may stop eating, drinking, etc. and that can cause them to pass away from malnutrition.

2. They need exercise to live - That means that what you thought was solely a cage animal is actually an animal that needs space to run. I'm not talking outside, although some owners of house rabbits (another name for domesticated rabbits) keep theirs outdoors, either. I'm talking about letting them run around in what's known as an X-Pen, or exercise pen, at the very least! Yoshi has relatively free rein of the living room where his cage is. He is able to hop along whenever he pleases because I know he needs it.

3. Those wires are yummy- Rabbits need to chew. Their teeth are constantly growing and in order for them to wear them down enough so they're not a health risk, rabbits need things to chew on. If you don't give them a good outlet for that chewing, like willow sticks, they will find other things to chew on. That being said, if they're a free rein rabbit like my Yoshi is you need to be extra cautious to make sure that your bun isn't going to chew on electric wires because those are their favorite. A lot of rabbit owners have had to take their baby to an emergency vet because they had themselves an extra toasty snack. So keep those wires tucked away!

4. Babies having babies - As soon as puberty hits for rabbits they can start reproducing. That means female rabbits, known as does, can have a litter at just over 3 months old! The gestation period for rabbits is roughly 28-31 days, and they can get pregnant within days, although this is not a good idea, of having her litter.

5. Baths could kill them - Quite literally, bathing a rabbit could kill them. All of those photos on the internet of rabbits in the tub or sink, "relaxing" in water, are actually horrible for buns. They can become hypothermic, go into shock, and die. The reason for this is because a rabbits fur retains water for a long time, and while you may dry your rabbit and think it's fine, it's really not. The water can be retained closer to the skin for quite some time, which is what causes the hypothermia.

6. Om nom nom - They love food. Specifically sugary, sweet goodness. However, this doesn't mean that that's all they should eat. ;) A rabbit's diet should consist of timothy hay pellets, timothy hay (or other hays like orchard grass or botanical hay), an array of greens, and plenty of water. Alfalfa anything should be used for underweight rabbits or kits (baby buns) who need to put on weight.

Unlike a lot of the stories we've all been told and pictures we've seen, not all rabbits like carrots! I know, everything you thought you knew now seems like a lie, right? Not all like carrots. Some like bananas and apples more. I have had one rabbit obsessed with apples and bananas, and another one completely consumed in his love for carrots. That being said, buns shouldn't have a lot of sweets because they can't process sugar nearly as well as humans can, and they can become overweight easily. They also cannot process dairy, nuts, or honey at all. It can back up their system, and cause them to get gastrointestinal stasis, also known as GI stasis, where their waste builds up in their system. GI stasis can cause the rabbits to refuse to eat and drink, and their poo stops. It's been known to be the cause of a lot of rabbits' demise.

7. You are getting sleepy...sleeeeepy - I bet you've probably seen those photos you see where a rabbit looks content while on it's back, right? Wrong. It's not content at all. It's actually freaked out completely because it's a prey animal and it being on it's back, completely still, is a sign that it's in survival mode. "Trancing", which is what this is actually called, is absolutely horrifying for a rabbit, and it shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary. I'm talking you've got a huge chunk of dried fecal matter matted into a buns butt, and he needs it removed while you're home alone. I mean, honestly, you shouldn't do it even then, but if you do do it make sure you know what you're doing.

8. I'm so hoppy to see you! - When a bunny hops and their legs fly in the air that's called a "binky", and it's one of the ultimate expressions of happiness when it comes to rabbits. There is also something that we in the bunny community call a "dead bunny flop", and that's where the rabbit basically flings itself onto the floor.

That's essentially them saying "I'm completely content with life right now". I catch Yoshi doing this a lot when I give him a batch of fresh botanical grass or a slice of apple for his treat. Rabbits are really easy to read when it comes to body language; you just have to attune yourself to "speak" that language.

Overall, rabbits are great pets. Actually, I wouldn't even call them pets. They're family members. They're loving, social, and very high maintenance. If you're looking for a "starter pet", they're not for you. I would actually say they're more high maintenance than dogs and cats. They need love, care, and an owner who is knowledgeable and willing to learn more to keep them healthy and safe.