Top 5 Reasons I Miss High School

Top 5 Reasons I Miss High School

There are some things you just never forget.

84
Top 5 Reasons I Miss High School
Connie Lebouef

When you're in high school everyone says, "High school will be the best four years of your life."

Then when you get to college everyone says, "College will be the best years of your life."

Okay, so which one is it?

I believe that you get out what you put in.

For example, I was in over 5 extracurricular activities in high school, made homecoming and prom court and helped out as a office aid.

In college, I go to class and go home. That's it. Not because I want too because I don't. I want to rush or try out for the Flag team, but the way my "college life" has sorted out makes it difficult.

There are many things I love about college like not having to wake up at 5 in morning but also being able to enjoy the rest of your day before lunch time, being able to become friends with people who are from a different background and the fact that I can wear whatever I want because what I wear shouldn't affect someone's ability to learn.

However, at least for now, high school was the best four years of my life. I graduated from Central Lafourche. We have the greatest band in Southern Louisiana and the most caring, supportive group of teachers I could of ever asked for.

I miss many things from high school but these are the things I miss most:

1. The Teachers

From teachers to the ladies who work in the front office to our janitors they always pushed you and wanted you do to your best. Every teacher, if possible, would go out of their way for a student in need or just to help with a fun activity for a pep rally. Situation big or small, they were always there.

2. The pep rallies

Dancing to the band, performing our cheer routines, singing the Alma Mater arm in arm, fighting for the spirit stick, watching people do crazy challenges and hearing each team captain say, "Yall come out and support us tonight" at EVERY pep rally.. is unforgettable. The feeling of being on the floor, performing in front of the entire student body who many times seemed to have an endless amount of spirit and love for our school is such a rush.

3. Cheerleading, FFA and Yearbook

I still regret not trying out for cheer my freshman year but it taught me something and made me push harder to make the team my remaining years of high school and it was the greatest feeling. Whether, it was cheering two games (four or more hours) on Wednesday with my JV girls, at a Friday Night Lights Varsity game dancing along with the band, or preforming at the Bonfire or pep rally there was never a dull moment. I will never forget how to do the Fight song, or Headrush because we practiced and performed it so many times I can still do it in my sleep. Pushed ourselves through summer camp and getting Grand Champs my senior year was a moment I can never forget and I had the chance to end the season having at least 12 girls to call family, along with our coach.

Joining the FFA in 6th grade was the best decision I have ever made. While being on Floriculture team and getting 4th place my sophomore year and competing for the Creed Speaking Contest my freshman year the FFA has taught me to go out of my comfort zone to achieve great things. Learning how to weld, cut with a torch and connect wires to make a light bulb work are things I am forever proud of. Our 3 amazing Ag. teachers, Mrs. Guidry, Mr. Triche and Mr. Breaux definitely have a special place in my heart for pushing me in everything I wanted to accomplish, being there when I needed someone to confide in and continuing to help me in my life after graduating.

Signing up to be in the yearbook class my junior year was one of the most scariest things I did in high school. I had absolutely no idea what to expect, but I'm glad I stuck to it. The yearbook helped me find what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am now ending sophomore year of college continuing my major in Journalism. Being Editor and Chief makes my list of Top 3 greatest accomplishments in high school along with getting an FFA scholarship and making a 3.2 GPA. My yearbook advisors helped sculpt me into who I am and for them I am forever grateful. They continue to have open arms every chance I get to see them, supporting me on my journey.

4. The friends

Going into high school, I had struggled in the friend department however my freshman year I made the best group of friends I could of asked for. Growing through high school and slowly making friends with people I, now, don't always talk to but know I can if the situation arises. Or even just being friendly when we see each other around. Everyone needs a friendly smile every now and then. My graduating class especially, every high school has its clicks but when it was time to get something done we would come together no matter which click you were in, JROTC or on the cheer team.

5. The dances

Everyone says the dances are lame. Most people rent a bus, spend $500+ to look good and never show up to the dance, they just take pictures and ride around. While I think its not a totally bad idea, I wanted to see everyone dressed nice, and make a fool of myself dancing. I'm not going to spend $500 to look good and have no one see me except the few people on the bus who see me all the time because were friends. Slow dancing with my date and doing line dances with my friends was the only time all night time could slow down just enough to fully enjoy the moment.

So, yes, it is extremely amazing to be adult like and be in college but don't rush through high school. I miss cheering and being able to goof off with my yearbook staff. Make the best of your four years there, no matter what you will have memories of the place so you might as well make them good.