Top 10 Things to do in Erie, PA

Top 10 Things to do in Erie, PA

There's more to it than snow

222
Top 10 Things to do in Erie, PA
psbehrend.psu.edu

As an Ereite at Mercyhurst University, I usually meet a lot of people from different parts of Pennsylvania, different parts of the country, and different parts of the world. Being a commuter that was born and raised near the lake, there are a lot of places people from out of town (or even from Erie) have never heard of. So instead of hanging around campus, here are some places to keep in mind if you ever want to get out and explore Erie for the great place it is.

1. The Bicentennial Tower

Or as some of you know it as "that weird tower-thing that shows up on the Snapchat filter", is probably one of my most favorite places to hang. For only $4 a person, you can take the elevator all the way to the top and not only overlook the lake, but also the beauty of the city. Lake Erie reflects the most breath-taking sunsets, and once it sets, the lights of the town bloom.

At the top of the tower, everything seems to become calm and quiet. You can just watch cars glide through the streets and people march around like ants. However, if you're afraid of heights like me, just don't look down. Dobbins Landing is located at the end of State Street and also consists of small lakeside bars.

2. Presque Isle

Please don't tell me you've never been to the peninsula. Erie, the average town it is, was blessed with Presque Isle State Park. This area is perfect for any activity such as fishing, running, rollerblading, biking, walking, boating, and of course swimming. There are several picnicking areas with shade to hang out and eat near or on the various beaches. Some of the beaches have volleyball nets and food shacks. Plus, you can also rent out kayaks, canoes, and even paddle bikes! Presque Isle is located on Peninsula Drive, and if you're down there, make sure you stop at Sarah's for an old-fashioned milkshake and fries!

3. Cinemark Tinseltown

I'm not going to lie, ever since I was little, I believed Tinseltown was actually the Land of Oz. At night, the building lights up in the colors of red and green and it always looked like a castle. As of today, Tinseltown is the only actual movie theater in Erie. As a child, this was the place of my dreams. If you're a movie lover like I am, you will find yourself up here quite a bit. Not only can you come here for new releases, but you can also just come for the arcade. This theater, located on Rotunda Drive, is the perfect place to play air hockey, guitar hero, and my favorite, the claw machine.

4. The Millcreek Mall

Most people love shopping. The Millcreek Mall is actually another blessing of Erie. Some come from the small towns of Pennsylvania, New York, and other states nearby to shop at this mall, which surprises me since I grew up next to it my whole life. The mall, however, has changed a lot since I was young. But, they still have the pet store which is usually the only reason I'm up there. So if you're having a bad day or you're up on Peach Street, stop at Heartland Pets and take out a dog.

5. The Wintergreen Gorge

The Gorge is right on the edge of the Penn State Behrend campus. This woodsy area is perfect for swimming in the creek, biking, running, hiking, and even just a cool place to observe nature. On a hot day, there is nothing like strolling under the shade of the trees or playing in the creek, just don't for get to stop at Bush's Ice Cream Shoppe for some Hershey's ice cream!

6. Downtown Erie

Downtown is usually where all the fun is at. Erie has amazing pubs, block parties, and large events such as Celebrate Erie, poker runs, and Roar on the Shore. You can even get tickets to Jr's Last Laugh and be entertained by local and celebrity comedians. Even if you're under 21-years-old, there are still some great eats and sites downtown, especially the large old buildings that surprisingly still stand today that had made the history of Erie, Pennsylvania.

7. Hookah Lounges

Hookah bars are not everyone's thing, unfortunately. But if you're interested in sitting on comfy couches with a group of friends, trying new flavors of tobacco, and sipping on amazing milkshakes and smoothies, visit Casablanca Hookah Lounge on West 5th street or the Hookah Cafe on West 14th. Hookah bars are the perfect places to go on the weekends when you are over 18-years-old but under 21-years-old.

8. Sunset Drive In

Located on Route 97 in Waterford, PA, is the nearest drive-in theater for the people of Erie. This theater not only has the essence of old-fashioned drive-ins, but also has the most amazing foods and a large, convenient parking lot. So you can sit in the bed of your truck or the hood of your car and watch movies on a big screen while stuffing your face with some of the best deep fried Oreo's you've ever tasted.

9. The Erie Zoo

You are never too old for the zoo. Erie has successfully developed a zoo with a diverse selection of animals that tend to be Erie's little celebrities. Also, there is great food, a petting zoo, and a little train that takes you around the area. How can you not be excited about that?

10. Waldameer Park and Water World

This amusement park, located on West Lake Road, has made such a historical impact on Erie. Not only has the park expanded over the years, but it has still succeeded in keeping the same child-like feeling its had since 1896. The park still holds old rides such as the Sky Ride, bumper cars, the Whacky Shack, the Comet, Pirate's Cove, the Sea Dragon, the Ferris Wheel, Thunder River, and so much more. Even if you aren't interested in going on any rides, you can always find some amazing old-fashioned food at the shacks around the park. But you must try the elephant ears sold in front of the Sea Dragon.

As you can see, there is so much more to Erie. However, a lot of these places listed are mainly for the warm weather which never lasts as long as the winters here in Pennsylvania. So, if you want to check out what Erie is all about, I advise you to do so soon before the cold weather catches up to us.