Top 10 Quotes from Grey's Anatomy that College Kids Need to Hear

"Sometimes it's good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose."

63
ABC

I don't know about you, but I am absolutely and irrevocably obsessed with the phenomenon that is "Grey's Anatomy". Premiering in 2005, the show is about to air its thirteenth season on ABC. Seasons one through 12 are currently on Netflix, making it even more accessible to those who missed its past 10 years on the air. This summer I have managed to whiz through eight seasons (four through 12), and I love it. The characters are deep and complex, the storylines relatable and fast-paced, and you will undoubtedly cry at least once every three episodes. It is simply the best television show, ever.

Along with all of those characteristics, the show has given pop culture some of the most beautiful pieces of advice. Many of us look to the show for inspiration and guidance, and who more needs these things than college students. College is a confusing time for everyone, especially because our parents aren't right there when we need a hug or the perfect thing to tell us. And for some of us, we have yet to find our "person" at school. So, for all of you freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, here are 10 quotes that may help you through whatever situation you are stuck in.

1. "Responsibility. It really does suck. Unfortunately, once you get past the age of braces and training bras, responsibility doesn't go away. It can't be avoided. Either someone makes us face it or we suffer the consequences. And still adulthood has it perks. I mean the shoes, the sex, the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. That's, pretty damn good."

Responsibility is probably the scariest thing to a college student: you need to wake up on time for classes, do your laundry, study for those five exams on Monday. But, in retrospect, at least you're just responsible for yourself (as of now anyway!).

2. "No one likes to lose control, but as a surgeon there's nothing worse. It's a sign of weakness, of not being up to the task. And still there are times when it just gets away from you. When the world stops spinning and you realize that your shiny little scalpel isn't gonna save you. No matter how hard you fight it, you fall. And it's scary as hell. Except if there's an upside to free-falling, it's the chance you give your friends to catch you."

There are so many things you can't control, especially in life. If you are fortunate enough to have found good friends at school, they will most certainly be up for splitting pizza with you when all you can control is how many toppings you can choose for $10.

3. "I've heard that it’s possible to grow up, I've just never met anyone who’s actually done it. Without parents to defy, we break the rules we make for ourselves. We throw tantrums when things don’t go our way. We whisper secrets with our best friend, in the dark. We look for comfort where we can find it. And we hope against all logic, against all experience, like children, we never give up hope."

What really is considered "grown up" anymore? We live in a time where people can literally be whatever and whomever they want. So what if you have a million Beanie Babies in your dorm? Who cares if you cry because all you wanted was that one perfect cold brew coffee from Starbucks and the barista gave you regular iced coffee instead by accident? No one grows up, we just learn what not to do or how to act in certain situations.

4. "It can be scary to find out you've been wrong about something but we can't be afraid to change our minds, to accept that things are different, that they'll never be the same, for better or for worse. We have to be willing to give up what we used to believe. The more we're willing to accept what is and not what we thought, we'll find ourselves exactly where we belong."

If there's one lesson I will take away from school, it's moving on. Your friends will change constantly, new building additions will be made to your school, and professors come and go. Moving on leads to better and bigger things.

5. "We're all susceptible to it, the dread and the anxiety of not knowing what's coming. It's pointless in the end, because all the worrying and all the making of plans for things that could or could not happen, it only makes things worse. So walk your dog or take a nap. Just whatever you do, stop worrying. Because the only cure for paranoia is to be here, just as you are.

College is the craziest time of anyone's life, truly. Worrying is a constant because most of the time we know doing well is a make or break for our careers or whatever jobs we want to do in life. It is crucial however, to take a few moments out of our day just to exist. Sit in your room quietly while your roommate is in class, don't play any music, and sit on your bed and just be.

6. "We have to keep reinventing ourselves almost every minute because the world can change in an instant, and there's no time for looking back. Sometimes the changes are forced on us, sometimes they happen by accident, and we make the most of them. We have to constantly come up with new ways to fix ourselves. So we change, we adapt, we create new versions of ourselves. We just need to be sure that this one is an improvement over the last."

College is the best time to be yourself, whatever version of "yourself" you want to be! All you have to do is make sure you are who you want to be, and that it's better than the last because it's you!

7. "When you're faced with the tough choices, it comes down to you. What can you live with? What can you leave behind? Right or wrong, you have to decide what you're willing to go down fighting for. The choice is yours."

Going back to the whole responsibility thing, every choice you make in school is your own. You can't blame your parents anymore or that mean girl who shoved you into your locker, you're an adult now so you need to make "grown up" decisions for yourself. You decide what is worth fighting for, whether it's your relationship, friendship, or the .1 between that B+ and an A.

8. "Your life is a gift. Accept it. No matter how screwed up or how painful it seems to be. Somethings are going to work out as if they were destined to happen... As if they were just meant to be."

Just know that your life is precious and that most people in the world aren't able to get the education or experience you are getting right this second. It might get scary sometimes, but you will end up where you belong no matter what.

9. "Change; we don’t like it, we fear it, but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change, or we get left behind. And it hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here's the truth: The more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Sometimes change, is, everything."

CHANGE IS GOOD! I can't say it enough.

10. "I gotta go. You stay here. You are a gifted surgeon with an extraordinary mind. Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun. You are."

Be your sun. You are the most important person to YOU, so take care of yourself!

And if you haven't watched "Grey's Anatomy" yet and these quotes have helped or inspired you, I highly suggest you start. And if you are where I am, all caught up, then don't forget the most important thing: always dance it out.

***ALWAYS DANCE IT OUT!!!***