To The Person Who Always Feels Alone Because Of Social Anxiety

You are never alone.

106
Parenting Survival For All Ages

Speech class is your worst nightmare, not knowing anyone in a public place is terrifying, and just talking in a group setting is nerve-wracking, especially if you are not particularly close to any of the people.

But who cares what people think?

This is easier to say in your head than to actually live out on the daily. Ya feel?

The bible says "do not worry" 365 times (probably more), which people like to say is a great reminder for every day of the year. One of my favorites is Philippians 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every everything, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (NIV)

When you feel anxiety come on in social situations, take deep breaths and remind yourself that it does not matter what the people around you think of you. It only matters what God thinks of you, and He thinks you are pretty amazing.

He made you!!! He is so proud of you! Just let go and let God (I love cliche statements, sorry).

Just be yourself in those social situations. If those people you are around are really your friends then, they will love you. Every little bit of awkward that you are.

Also, we are all awkward if you didn't know. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others. The most confident person has his or her awkward days/moments. Believe me, you just may not ever see them on the outside, but they're there.

Be confident in you. You are the you that you are for a reason because God created you, and our God does not make mistakes.

In Isaiah (32:17) it says, "The fruit of that righteousness will be peace; its effect will be quietness and confidence forever."

Rest in the fact that you are never alone. In any social situation or any situation for that matter, if you have Jesus Christ in your heart, God will always be with you. This is such a comfort, even for me who is a very confident person when it comes to social situations.

I would encourage you to be in prayer for yourself, and also ask for prayer from friends and family. Pray that God would give you the confidence you need to face anyone and anything that comes your way. Pray that God calms your anxious heart and mind to not worry about anything.

We never really think about worrying as a sin, but it actually is. It means that we are not trusting in the Lord that He will take care of us.

But I love what it says in Matthew 6, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any of you add a single hour to your life by worrying?"

How much more valuable you are to the Heavenly Father. Rest in that.