To The Parent Who Never Gave Up When I Did

Thank you for believing in me when I didn't believe in myself

26
Laura Lundberg

To the parent who never gave up when I did,

Thank you for believing in me when I didn't believe in myself. Thank you for being my number one supporters not only on my best day, but also my worst day.

Swimming became my entire life. It consumed my daily schedule through swim practices and swim meets. Throughout my years of swimming, I was on three different teams, which meant sacrificing time and effort. When I talk about sacrificing these things, I don't just mean my money, time, and effort, but instead my parent’s.

My parents never gave up on me, even when I had given up on myself. Being on such an intense athletic regimen made me miss out on things such as going to the movies with friends, sleepovers, and school football games. I was always so concerned with the things I was missing out on, that I didn't put into perspective that they were sacrificing their time too. My parents drove me to school, picked me up from school, drove my to swim practice, picked me up from practice, and drove me back home every day for so many years.

They took time out of their schedule to make time for my dream. I continued to become a better swimmer throughout the years, but I never took the time to thank my parents for being a part of the reason it was happening. I thanked my coach after each practice, I thanked my body for getting me through a tough workout, but once I got in the car, I never thanked my parents for taking me there or picking me up. I never thanked them for waking up at 4 a.m. for morning practices, for driving me to away swim meets around the state, or cooking me the food I needed to fuel my body.

Over the years, I got burnt out. I had slowly started to give up on myself. It felt like I was spending every waking minute in the pool. When I started giving up on myself, they never did. I told them I didn't want to swim for college, even though a few schools were recruiting me to swim. I told them I wasn't going to do it. Thinking back to that time in my life, I cannot get past how selfish I was. I didn't consider their side of why I should swim for a school. Now, I realize that I was not the only one who had a say in that discussion because they were just as much a part of the decision as I was.

You know that saying about how your mom is always right? Well, she is. Or at least mine is. She encouraged me to at least try swimming at a higher level. She believed in me. She believed that it would give me a good friend group, make me less homesick by keeping me busy and that I would really enjoy it. But, I didn't listen. I didn't even put into consideration how much my parents had done for me; how long they had supported me and how they loved me through every step of my swimming career.

If I could go back, I would have listened to them. I would have told myself that I should at least try it. There are times that I lie in bed at night, thinking about how my life would be if I had chosen to swim. Where I would be in that exact moment in time, what school I would be at, what friends I would’ve had, and if I would have liked it. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and that the path I am on is the one that God wants for me. But, I can’t help but wonder.

For anyone who is reading this, I encourage you to take a moment to thank your biggest supporters. Acknowledge the people who are by your side throughout your journey and how they never fail to tell you how proud they are of you. We can become so consumed in what we’re doing that we can forget to thank the people who have helped us get to where we are. If it weren’t for them, who knows where we would be.

To my mom and dad who didn't give up on me: thank you. I want you to know how much I appreciate you and how much I wish I could go back in that moment and listen to you. I feel so blessed to have you as my parents and to have you as my supporters. How did I get so lucky? I don't deserve what you do for me; the love, care, and graciousness you show me daily. You deserve every piece of goodness this world has to offer and I wish I could give it to you like you have for me. Thank you for continuing to support me in my daily ventures and for still believing in me on the days I don't believe in myself. I love you with all my heart.