To The Ones Who Are Trying To Do It All

To The Ones Who Are Trying To Do It All

Putting yourself first is not the same thing as disregarding everybody else's needs.

9
To The Ones Who Are Trying To Do It All
Ashlyn Wing

From the moment you open your eyes, and until your head hits the pillow, you're constantly on the go. Whether it be finishing that assignment for school, getting ready for work after an already full day of classes, catching up on laundry, finding time to eat (something other than bagel bites or pop tarts), or attempting to salvage somewhat of a social life, you never slow down. And when it does feel like you finally have some time for peace and quiet, responsibility is right there in the back of your mind to remind you of all that you could be doing...

But, it is great being the person who can do it all, right? What's better than being a full-time college student, juggling a job, and extracurricular activities... and still managing to pull off making Dean's list? There's a certain sense of pride that comes from knowing you are giving your all, and then giving more, and having it pay off. Yet, there also comes a time when you have to put yourself first as well...

The problem with being someone who has the mindset that they can do it all is that we often take on more than we can handle... but, we will never admit that. While everyone else sees us as being successful and someone to look up to, we ourselves are often struggling. Nobody sees the behind the scenes all-nighters, the pure exhaustion, and dread that comes from going straight to work from class, the sacrifices of a social life, or having to put things that are important to you on the back burner while you try to juggle life. Eventually, the feeling of being on top of it all starts to fade, leaving behind exhaustion and the thought of all you're missing out on behind.

The truth is, sometimes you just need to step back and make time for yourself. It took me a long time to realize that sometimes all you need is a day, or a few moments, for yourself. It wasn't until my sophomore year of college that I realized the toll everything was taking on me. I was no longer the happy, go-lucky girl. I didn't have the energy to do anything when I wasn't working or at school. My relationships were suffering, and in return, so was I. I was missing out on people, and things that I cared about because I had a one-track mindset of school and work. While both of these are important, so am I.

Whether it's an hour a day, or an entire weekend, it's important to take time for you. Killing yourself over school and work is only going to leave you feeling more exhausted and defeated than before. Nothing is more important than your own health- mentally and physically. It could be as small as actually being able to cook yourself breakfast, or deciding to treat yourself on the weekend. There is no shame in admitting that sometimes life is just a little too overwhelming. Your family and friends understand that you're busy, they don't hold it against you when your texts are scattered, and it's hard for you to make plans around your work schedule. But, it is important to remember that they do miss you. They do care, and they can't wait to see you when you're not as busy. And as for the people who choose not to stick around, simply because you're busy? They aren't meant for you anyways. You have to take care of you before you can take care of anyone else.