To The One Who Sees The Real Me

To The One Who Sees The Real Me

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." John Green

279
Tayla Arnold

You know, I’m twenty years old. And to a lot of people, that’s still really young to even be talking about love, but here I am… fixing to write a whole article about it. I have always had an idea of what I figured love was like. To me love was like the 1 Corinthians verse:

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres”.

Love was something I had always wanted, and I always figured it was like in fairytales until I met reality. When you think it's all over and done with and you're never going to find love, that's when God laughs and gives you everything you asked for. He always has a bigger plan that you can't see for when you decide you're going to give up. So to me, my bigger plan was you. This letter is to just say… thank you.

You were the boy that I had only known of in high school, you were the cool kid, the one that all of us younger girls knew and just adored. Never in a million years would I of ever guessed that years done the road I would be with you but here I am… living the dream. The first time I met you I knew you were so special and I couldn’t wait to see where things were going to go with us.

I know this year has been such a blessing for you to have been graced with my presence for this long (juuuust kidding), but just know this year has been the same for me. Because before you, I never knew what it was like to have someone actually want to spend all of their time with me. But you do, and you never complain anytime we are together and I am cranky or upset. You try to make me feel better and make me laugh and you literally never fail. You made my harsh reality of love become what I had always dreamed; an absolute fairytale (Cinderalla, because I'm a princess... duh).

You are the kindest and gentlest man that I have ever known. You are so soft-hearted and care more about my feelings than your own. I never knew what it was like to have a love so selfless and pure and true until you showed it to me. You always go out of your way to do things for me that I probably don’t deserve at all, but you think so anyway.

In the past year, we have had our fair share of arguments and disagreements. Many times we have gotten on each other’s nerves and many times we have had arguments, but they never seem to do anything but make us stronger. You have a hard time apologizing and making the words, “I’m sorry” come out of your mouth, but so do I. We’re both stubborn but it literally never stops us from making up and loving each other more.

You support my shopping habits…well, I shouldn’t say you support them, but you acknowledge that I have a problem and you don’t try to change it. I’m very high maintenance and have love to shop and spend money (thank the Lord I’m getting an education) and you’re very sensible and simple. You balance me.

You’re always there through every mood swing that I have and you’re always there to mellow me out during the end of the semester when I am stressing hardcore over my grades. And when I manage to pull it off… you never act surprised because you say that you always believed in me and you tell me how proud you are.

See, we’re complete opposites. You’re the mellow, quiet and polite one. I’m the high-strung, loud and direct one. You’re the yin to my yang and you balance me out and help me see when I am being ridiculous… it might not happen right at that moment but I see it eventually. Many times you have seen the real me, the one not many people know, and you don't run... even when I feel like you're going to. I know I am a lot to handle but thank goodness you do it and you hardly ever complain. You’re my person in this world and I hope you always choose me and love me in the end. Because to me… you, and our love fits my idea of what I thought it would always be like… it fits the verse perfectly.

So thank you for loving me when I am ridiculous, I don’t always deserve it. Thank you for the countless amounts of dinners you have paid for and made for me personally. Thank you for supporting my sushi addictions and understanding that I have an addiction to fruit by the foots. Thank you for letting me be the person who holds your hand when we’re riding in the truck, and for being the person you grace your beautiful singing abilities with. Thank you for all of the wonderful memories and for never failing to make me laugh. Thank you for learning to accept the fact that I just love to post pictures and videos of you on Snapchat, and for never failing to tell me how much you love me.

You’ll never know how much you have changed my whole outlook (slowly but surely) on things. Thank you for dealing with my mood swings and for taking me to get ice cream literally after every meal. I love you more than words.

Thank you for being the best.

Love,
Chip