To The High School Girl Who Doesn't Fit In

It all passes, I promise.

35
Author's photo

High school is supposed to be the best years of your life. We all have this preconceived notion that if someone doesn’t go out every night and have a huge group of friends then high school won’t be worth it. However, high school is not going to be the best years of your life. Please, understand this.

Throughout my high school career, I was never the girl to go out party or have super fun Friday nights. This really took a toll on me. I always thought that I was wasting these “crazy years that I would always miss,” and that I was doing something wrong. You are not doing anything wrong, and you will not miss it.

I was one of those girls that had a very small group of close friends. Sure, I had tons of distant friends that I only saw at school, but that’s not how it was supposed to be. Your high school friends were supposed to be your best friends forever, your shoulder to lean on, your “people.” They won’t be.

High school is supposed to help you find yourself. A person is supposed to experience all these things and learn what they want to do with their lives. People are supposed to shape themselves throughout high school. You won’t.

I am here to say: do not stress the small things. In a couple years, they will not matter. If you are how I used to me and just trying to get through each day without too much struggle, it will get better. I am in college now and I fit in and I love it. I have found my “people.” I have started to enjoy my days and not just float through them. High school is only a passing experience.

College will come and you will be able to become someone you never expected to be. You will find your friends, hobbies, and life goals. You will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible. You will experience new things and meet amazing people with life changing stories. You will find your place. High school is not your deciding factor; it will come to an end.

Now, don’t get me wrong, high school is something to enjoy. Be involved, join clubs, go to the Friday night football games, and put yourself out there. High school may not be the greatest thing of all time, but it will provide a multitude of memories that will help shape your life, and your views of the world. Don’t waste these four years, but don’t let them be the decisive factor of your path in life.

If there is only one thing to take away from this article, know that nothing lasts. It will get better and you will find the people you will spend the rest of your life around. High school is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

You will make it through, just give it time.