To The Girl Wishing She Wasn't Single

To The Girl Wishing She Wasn't Single

"You aren't Jane Nichols in 27 Dresses.  Singleness isn't the 21st centuries black plague."

18
To The Girl Wishing She Wasn't Single

Sweet Friend,

This letter is not one to tell you that waiting for the man God has planned for you isn't hard- trust me, it is. This letter is not to tell you that singleness will be rainbows and butterflies and magic- it won't be. It won't be a sugar coated, glitter sprinkled continuous time of laughter and smiles. Yes, singleness can be crying and jealously and a test to your patience. So as you read these words, and as you read this title, you are probably wondering why in the world you would wait. Why would you suffer through singleness?

When I was thirteen, I had the most massive crush on a boy in my English class. It wasn't just any boy either; we were close friends, maybe even best friends. We were asked to write a paper and, as I often do, I wrote about love. He was the only boy in our class that excelled in writing and, as two of the best writers in our class, he always edited my papers. Knowingly, I spent extra time crafting an essay about finding true love, about noticing the people around you, about how your best friend really might be your soulmate. Not to brag, but it was a great piece. After he read it, things changed. His eyes lit up and he looked and smiled at one of our mutual friends. Inadvertently, I'd helped my crush fall in love with another girl. My thirteen-year-old heart was crushed. I thought I had been sentenced to a life of singleness.

Sometimes singleness feels like one big mistake. As women, we think- but I'm pretty, I'm intelligent, I'm kind... what is there to not like about me?But here is your hope, your singleness has almost nothing to do with you; It almost always has to do with where you are at in life. You see, singleness isn't a permanent sentence. You aren't Jane Nichols in 27 Dresses. Singleness isn't the 21st centuries black plague.

So, dear friend, you have time. Whether you thirteen or one hundred and thirteen, when you decide to wait on your forever, you will realize that a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders. When you give into the "waiting game" and decide to just let it happen, you will no longer feel the pressure to be dating. You won't feel like you have to find the one right here and now. Which will save you from so much heartbreak? As much as singleness can be lonely and dull, it truly is what you make it. You can choose to be sad and jealous, or you can choose to be joyful that someday you will meet your soulmate.
So as you, my friend, are in the midst of singleness, as you are patiently waiting for your forever, realize that you have your whole life ahead of you. Adventure, seek and explore. Wake up each day thankful that you have another opportunity to learn more about yourself and your surroundings. Take in each moment, and be grateful. Trust me in saying that when you meet the one, the wait will be worth it.