To someone I might consider dating

To someone I might consider dating

A decision to be intentional before I actually begin

8
To someone I might consider dating
Naomi Burhoe

To begin, know this: I probably won’t say anything about my feelings in the matter up front. I like the idea of waiting. And I’ve also never been in a relationship so I don’t fully know what is expected. I know a lot of hearsay and have read many articles on the subject of dating and dating intentionally, but I don’t know what it’s like to be in a relationship.

But if I’m ever placed in that situation, one where I am in the position of potentially starting a relationship, then I at least want to make my intentions clear. First, I don’t want to date with the mindset that we are simply “going to see where the wind takes us.” I have higher goals in mind than simply following where my feelings are heading. Being perfectly frank, I know from experience that my feelings about various subjects can change a lot in a matter of minutes.

In addition, I’d rather not wait on voicing certain expectations in the relationship until we’re much deeper into it. For example, I’d rather say up front that I am pursuing this relationship with the mindset of finding a marriage partner. If that partner does not end up the person I’m currently thinking about starting a relationship with, then so be it; but if it is, I’d rather they know up front.

Another expectation is that we would not become physically or sexually involved (kissing included) until such a point as our wedding day. If that’s a deal breaker then I’d rather know up front, as opposed to pursuing a relationship with someone who doesn’t ultimately share my convictions on that subject.

Also, and I know that my family would agree on this one, I think that it’s important that my family is involved somehow in the relationship from the beginning. For example, I think it would be awesome if someone interested in dating me would ask my dad’s permission before approaching me on the subject. Or, that they would be willing to take that step if they hadn’t previously. Though, I do know that that could be intimidating, considering my dad has already promised to thoroughly dissect their intentions. He would also be quick to enforce the “no touching” rule in the family home.

While I do have other expectations for the start of the relationship, such as the person in question sharing my religious convictions and trying to make something of themselves, those are neither here nor there. In addition, I think it important that they get along with my friends to some degree, and that they have a strong network of friends and family supporting them on their end.

In summary, while I may not be in the position of starting a relationship, I think it wise to understand my expectations up front. I also would want to know what the expectations of the other person are at the beginning of the relationship so that we could proceed accordingly. If any of their convictions are deal breakers from the get go, then we could at least end the relationship before either of us got terribly hurt in process of growing ever closer together.

If nothing else, at least I can say that I don’t ask too much. Or if I do, then at least it is known up front. If someone is serious, then I suppose that they would be willing to do what is necessary. If I have to give hints about my intentions regarding them, I might. But I’d rather let the other person take charge of the situation.It is what I’ve been taught, and while it may somewhat antiquated in thought nowadays, I like that idea much more than the next.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope you have a splendid rest of your day.