revelations in high school

An Open Letter To Myself: As College Nears, I Reflect On Revelations Made In High School

These are the four crucial things I must remember as I part ways with my old life and start anew.

200
Photo Credit // Olivia Ramsay

My college journey commences in about a month, and I know there's a lot I have yet to learn how to make it successfully on my own. But before I go out there and figure out what I need to do to survive, I think it's best I reflect on what I already know to ensure I don't make the same mistakes again and to remind myself of what I'm better off without.

The friends you made in high school, at least most of them, will not be your friends forever.

My high school friends and I stand in Valley Falls State Park during a summer day trip.

Photo Credit // Sierra Hoy

Those invaluable people you instantly clicked with – the ones who made the chaotic times worthwhile – will not always be there for you, and you learned that before you even obtained your diploma. You're all attending different colleges; why didn't you realize this before? Deep down, you knew. It didn't matter, though, because everyone needs someone in high school to get them through. Don't spend a lot of time attempting to reconnect with those who wouldn't care if they never spoke to you again. Just know that your true friends, the ones that really cared about you, will keep in contact somehow. They'll find a way if the friendship truly meant anything to them. The others – well, it was nice knowing them.

You will not be the same person in college you were in high school, and that's a given.

Everyone changes immensely from year to year. This photo captures my friends and me filming a video for our news broadcast during senior year, a year where I finally became outgoing.

Photo Credit // Sierra Hoy

Everyone changes immensely from year to year. You were a different person all four years you endured the difficulties high school provides, and it's blatant a new you will manifest itself once you take on the biggest transition of your life thus far: beginning college life. Don't be afraid of what you become (it's bound to be more tolerable than the cringeworthy person you were during the years prior). Do your younger self proud and remember that what's meant to happen, will.

Make something of yourself in the years to come.

High school made me decide I was meant to pursue a career in the world of journalism. That includes both print media and photography.

Photo Credit // Jackie Pingley

Throughout high school, you decided you were meant to pursue a career in the world of journalism. May you continue to follow that endeavor and never lose sight of it. If you do opt to take on a different major, though, that's okay, too. Just do what makes you happiest. No matter what you end up doing, show everyone you're surrounded by that you can do anything you set your mind to.

College is going to be so much better than high school.

The gate outside Ohio University.

Photo Credit // Me

The freedom you'll obtain in college will be just what you needed. Your high school experience was not nearly as bad as it could have been, but it was definitely not worthwhile. College will be different. Enjoy it while it lasts and don't be afraid what is to come; I promise you'll be just fine.