Dear Future Me

Dear Future Me

A letter from me at 20 to me at any age.

25
Dear Future Me
A View of Zone 14, Guatemala City from Santa Catarina Pinula, Guatemala

Dear Maria,

Hey girl! What's up? How are you?

I do not know how old you are, where you are living or what you are doing, but I want to tell you that I love you. I want to tell you that I have always loved you, and everything I have done, I have done it for you. I hope you still continue to live life for you, doing what is best for you and what makes you happy. I wonder where you will be when this letter reaches you. I can only imagine; maybe you will be a vet? Maybe a writer? Maybe an educator? Maybe a curator? Maybe a mom? A wife? A student? Wherever you are, I want you to be happy. And like Abraham Lincoln said, "whatever you are, be a good one."

I beg you to make decisions that are best for you even if they are hard. I beg you to look back at what you have achieved and continue to grow and move forward. I beg you to continue to chase your dreams and never let anyone get in the way!

I know you will find inspiration every day, but just so you can look back one day and remember me (your 20 year old self), I am going to list a few things that inspire you now.

Guatemala

Oh, Guate. You stole my heart the day I was born. Your volcanoes, your mountains, your hard working people, your eternal spring weather, and your uniqueness had my heart since day one. I tattooed the you on my left bicep so that I can see your outline everyday when I look at myself in the mirror.

The World

Maria, you may not remember now, but there was once a time when you wanted to study Cultural Anthropology. Think about all those beautiful souls out there and how they came to be the way they are. You were always inspired by the innate dignity within every person, and their cultures. Within each one of us there is a little bit of everybody.

The 21st Century

It's a great time to be alive folks.

The Little Things

Sometimes, all you need is a little daily pleasure.

Pets

Animals are so perceptive and so intelligent. They are so sweet and so patient, all they want is to love and to be loved. Much of my knowledge has come from dogs and cats.

ART

Art is not just a painting on a wall, art can be anything, and it can be found anywhere. And I thank God for art because being an artist is a job, and it is a hard and necessary job. We need artists in the world.

Music

A part of me is made up of pure music. I listen to it everyday.

Education

I love to learn! There is always more to learn and more to know!

Fried Plantains (Platanitos Fritos)

Fried Plantains are so good! They are crispy on the outside and hot and sweet and delicious on the inside! YUM! Very Guatemalan. Add some beans and cream for a little extra!

Fashion

I always had a passion for fashion.

Money

Let me be honest with you Maria, I am inspired by making money. Money is a necessity in the world we live in.

Exercise

Maria, I know that sometimes the hardest part of exercising is getting on that incredibly tight sports bra on and getting your heart rate up, but it is so worth it. Many ideas will be born from an exercise session.

Health

Whenever I am sick in bed, I realize how important it is to be healthy. Take care of yourself Maria.

FOOD

Never underestimate the inspirational power inside a taco.

YOU

Dear me, keep making yourself laugh. I love it when you say something to yourself inside your brain and make yourself laugh. I am sure you will continue to do this throughout your lifetime.

Family

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever turn your back on your family. Family will be there in the darkest and the brightest of times. I am thankful for my family every single day. Every where I look, I am reminded of them, and they are what inspires me the most.