Would I Change The High School Me?

Would I Change The High School Me?

Advice to those in high school to be yourself.

6
Would I Change The High School Me?
Olivia Napier

I think everyone has regrets. That is human nature. I remember every year of high school, looking back at the previous year seeing the things I wish I could have done differently. Whether it was who I was friends with, boys I talked to, or even choices I had made with school and life outside of school. As a freshman in college I have noticed that I can not change the past, and I can not spend my time wishing I did something different and ponder over the choices I made.

I have made a list of key things I wish I could change if I could go back in time. Though I can't actually go back in time, I hope this will potentially benefit students that are in the same position I was a year or two ago.

1. Take the Dual Credit Classes

I am surrounded by students who don't have to take English 111 or don't have to take basic freshman algebra because they chose to take dual credit classes in their junior or senior year. In my case, I decided I wanted to stay in school all day of senior year because "I didn't want to miss the senior year experience." In all honesty, the only thing I did different senior year than any other year was take easier classes and sleep in my free periods. In reality, I could have opted out of english and math and taken dual credit at JCTC and left school early to work or anything of my choosing. I did enjoy the time with my friends, but I also wish I could have went ahead and gotten freshman english and math over with so I didn't feel like I wasn't behind pace from the other students.

2. Stop worrying what people think of you.

I was a worrier in high school and I still am now. High school is not for the innocent. Unfortunately, high schoolers talk, and when they talk it usually isn't good things. People are going to make up rumors out of spite, and people are going to call you out for mistakes you make. The worst thing you can do is sit and ponder on how to make the rumor go away or how to make someone like you again. Throughout high school I made mistakes like everyone else, and I got the heat for it more than once, sometimes getting heat for something that really wasn't my fault. The day I stopped worrying why so-and-so didn't like me, or what the so-and-so group of friends were saying about me was the day I could finally be peaceful in knowing I was good enough.

3. Respect yourself.

This one is for the ladies... Please respect yourself.

Ill be honest, when I first got into high school, I really just wanted to fit in. I really just wanted to look like all the other girls and talk like all the other girls and that is the moment I lost myself. Like I said previously, high school is not for the innocent. I remember the constant arguments with my mom how my shirt was too low, or my jeans were too tight, my makeup was too dark. Looking back, I wish I would have just listened. While I never got a bad reputation because of it, I probably made a fool out of myself. I always had the "goody-good church girl." reputation. One day I was tired of that reputation, and decided I didn't want to be a goody-good anymore. That was a mistake. I made choices I shouldn't have which I guess makes for cool stories, but looking back I wish I wouldn't have changed who I am for the desire of people seeing me different. Yes, some guys may desire the girl who shows off her body for a little while, but as the guys in high school said "You can't turn a hoe into a housewife."

Talk to the kids that probably aren't cool. No one is going to think differently of you for it. The "not cool." kids have feelings too. Don't get yourself wrapped up in what the popular kids do, because chances are, a lot of them are getting wasted on the weekends and setting themselves up to get caught.

I am thankful I did high school the way I did, though I wish I went out more, spent more time with family and friends, I am glad I turned out how I did. Definitely have fun, but make sure you can remember the fun in the end.