Tired Of Dorm Food Matadors? I Know A Few Places

It can be hard for CSUN students living on campus to find a new place to eat. No worries, here's a local's perspective.

76
Alyssa Avila

I have lived in the San Fernando Valley my whole life. That's almost 19 years of eating and living in my community. Part of the reason why I chose to attend CSUN is because it's fairly close to my house. So, finding somewhere to eat is pretty easy for me. However, it's not easy for CSUN students that are living in dorms who may be completely new to the area. Thus, here is my list of recommended places to get out and experience the local flavor.

DISCLAIMER: This list is based on my own experience and my tastes of food. I tried to think of a variety of foods near CSUN that I knew of and been to before. Sorry in advance if this list does not satisfy you. Comment down below what you would recommend to new students!

Breakfast

1. Acapulco Mexican Restaurant

It is the closest to CSUN, off of Reseda and Vincennes Street. Even though I'm recommending it for breakfast, this restaurant is great for any time of the day. The best part is that you get your money's worth. They always have coupons online and in weekly advertisements so if you're looking for something cheap and different, check it out. Especially on Sundays for breakfast, they have a brunch buffet that includes: made-to-order omelets, a waffle station, taco bar, traditional menudo, salads and fresh fruit. There's something there for anyone. They even have chicken nuggets and pizza available. Also, if you go this weekend, there's a Valentine's Day special which you can learn more about here.

2. Joe's Cafe

Ever since its victory from Food Network's show "Chopped," Joe's Cafe has been Granada Hills's prime jewel. It is located on Chatsworth between Zelzah and Yarmouth. It received so much popularity that they took over a building next to the original space to have an even bigger restaurant. They used to only serve breakfast and lunch but now dinner reservations are available. However, I recommend going there for what they're known for which is classic American breakfast with a modern twist. The atmosphere and food make it a lovely experience to have with friends or with someone you love. To see the full menu click here.

3. Breadologie Bakery

Wanna see an emerging small business like Joe's Cafe? Breadologie is the next best place to grab not only breakfast, but fresh baked bread. Yeah, that's right. Real, fresh bread that makes your mouth water. You can also buy amazingly delicious pastries and tasty sandwiches. Breadologie opened its doors in May 2016 and it's been booming ever since. Many people love coming on the weekends to eat breakfast with their families. However, if you want a taste of this action before the weekend rush, you have to wait until Thursday. This place is so dedicated to providing fresh bread and pastries that they close their store Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to bake all the bread and pastries just for you. For more information and menu click here.

4. Mimi's Cafe

Hands down, this place serves the best coffee. If you love coffee in the morning order it here and you can thank me later. In all seriousness, Mimi's Cafe not only is known for their amazingly delicious American breakfast but also some French breakfast items. It's located near the Northridge Mall and is always busy for breakfast. Usually, when I go, it's about a 15-25 minute wait. There are days when it's an hour wait. Nonetheless, the food and service make it worth the wait. If you have some money to spend and want to go out with friends or your lover, this place is perfect. If you wanna check out the full menu click here.

Lunch/Dinner

5. California Bowl and Teriyaki

Ever dreamed of paying for large amounts of sushi, rice and miso soup for only 12 dollars? Well, you can stop dreaming because this place exists. California Bowl and Teriyaki is ridiculously close to CSUN. My friends and I walk 10 minutes there every week for our sushi needs. Because this place isn't very well known and is a small, family owned business, they don't have a website with their menu. However, I can say that their menu is huge. They have different kinds of meat bowls, tempura, ramen and so much more. This place is perfect for college students who love Sushi and Japanese cuisine at a very low price.

6. The Habit

Even Buzzfeed knows that the Habit has the best burgers for five dollars. Of course, if you want their fries and a drink it's gonna cost ten dollars. Nonetheless, it's worth it. The Habit is also very close to CSUN. Just walk up Prairie street and Reseda and you'll find one of the best burger places around. Not in the mood for burgers? That's fine because their sandwiches and salads are to die for. I recommend trying the Santa Barbara cobb salad. Overall, this place has a nice, relaxing, beach like atmosphere that screams a California theme. The full menu for the Habit is located here.

7. Gen Korean BBQ

I absolutely love going here with friends. The decor is very modern making the atmosphere feel like downtown Los Angeles. It's located on Devonshire and Reseda so it's fairly close to campus. If you don't know what Korean BBQ is, it's basically a restaurant that provides customers fresh, Korean meat and customers cook the meat themselves at their table. This aspect makes the experience with friends more enjoyable and memorable. I highly recommend going before three in the afternoon because it only costs 16 dollars for all-you-can-eat meat. After three o' clock, customers have to pay the 21 dollar dinner price. Overall, Gen is a great place to treat yourself and your friends and it's 100% worth it.

8. Presto Pasta

This place is super cute for a date or an outing with friends. I recommend going in the evening so you can really experience the nice, cozy atmosphere it has. No matter what time you go, the food and prices makes it a convenient place for college students. Ten dollars can get you a pasta/pizza, salad/soup and a drink. If that doesn't scream "good deal" I don't know what does. Presto Pasta is located on Chatsworth in a shopping center next to Starbucks. If you want to view the full menu click here.

9. Food Trucks

Every Friday night, Chatsworth hosts the food truck event for locals. Not only is there a wide variety of food trucks, you can experience local musicians and the Granada Hills' community. Food trucks start serving food after sundown (around 6 o' clock) and start on White Oak and end on Zelzah. I have to warn you though, in the past I spent 20 dollars on myself for only a burger and fries. So expect to pay a pretty penny for these foods. Nonetheless, it's a fun time with friends.

10. Teriyakiya

Another great Japanese cuisine place for a low price. It's located off of Chatsworth and Balboa and owned by one of the nicest owners ever. Compared to California Bowl, Teriyakiya focuses more on meat than sushi. They have specialty meat kabobs, shrimp, meat bowls and a lot more for around eight to twelve dollars. Another reason why I love going here is because they give large portions for their meals. The only downside is that the decor isn't as nice as the other places I mentioned. This place is more about to-go orders anyway. If you wanna see the full menu click here.

11. Tommy's

If you're not from California or Los Angeles, going to an Original Tommy's is a must.
There are two locations near CSUN but they're a decent distance away. There's one on
Topanga and another near Panorama City roughly a 15 to 20 minute drive. It's absolutely worth the drive if you love chili burgers and hot dogs. The place itself is what you can call "old fashioned" but nonetheless is one of California's signature places to eat.

Drinks/ Dessert

12. Get Shaved

Located right next to the Habit on Reseda, Get Shaved is a small shack that serves the best shaved ice around. It's kinda like the Subway of shaved ice. You can order already known combos of shaved ice or customize it your own way. There are many syrups, toppings and ice creams to put on your shaved ice. Also, the ice quality is amazing too! It's light and fluffy yet filling. For more information and to take a full look at their menu click here. In case you don't know which one to try first, my favorite is number nine: Berrylicious.

13. Boba My Tea

I have to be honest, I've only been to this place once but my friend absolutely loves going here to have boba after school. It's located right off of Nordhoff and Reseda, so about a 10-15 minute walk from campus. The decor perfectly caters to the young, college student audience along with its inexpensive bobas. They have many flavors and options for boba. When I went there I had a red velvet flavored boba and I really liked it. Unfortunately, there's no online menu so you have to go for yourself to see what they have but I can say that even for a person who doesn't drink boba much, you're sure to find something there to your liking.

14. Menchie's

In a frozen yogurt mood? Menchie's is the place for you! It's located off of Chatsworth Zelzah so you would have to drive about five minutes away from campus. What makes it different from Yogurtland? I honestly can't tell you because Menchie's is the place I go to for my frozen yogurt. Menchie's has many different flavors, toppings and syrups that you add yourself and costs how much it weighs. They also offer flavored custom cakes too. I love going to this location with friends because outside they have a fire pit for costumers. So whenever I wanna hang out with my friends we go to Menchie's to talk and tell stories around the fire. For more information on Menchies click here.