Tips On Shopping For Animal-Cruelty Free Cosmetics

Using animals for testing out cosmetics is just wrong.

13
Pixaby

Two of the few things I love in life are beauty products and animals, so when it comes to trying out new products I always make sure no animals are being harmed in the process. Surprisingly animal testing is not required when creating products but many companies do it when trying out new ingredients and according to the Human Society International, “We estimate that approximately 100,000-200,000 animals suffer and die just for cosmetics every year around the world. These are rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats and mice.” It’s sad to think that thousands of animals are being hurt just to figure out what is best for a product. It’s selfish of us humans, really.

I personally hate the thought of animals being hurt in any aspect so I thought this could help inspire others to realize what they’re purchasing and to purchase more ideal products.

1. Finding cruelty-free brands isn’t always easy but with patience and researching before purchasing can always help. Cruelty-free products can even be found at your local Target, Walgreens, CVS, and otherhigh end-stores like Sephora and Ulta.
  2. If you are unsure of what is/isn’t tested on animals you can always use the Beauty Without Bunnies search engine found on the Peta website or search on the Leaping Bunny website. Both sites provide a variety of companies that do or don’t test. It’s helpful to find out if the lipstick you’re using or the shampoo you used the other night is harming animals for it’s research.
  3. Going green and all natural with your cosmetics is the best and safest way to be sure that it’s not being treated on animals and to know for a fact that you aren’t putting anything harmful on your skin or hair. The Global Healing Center informs us that organic companies don’t use ingredients like Mercury, Dioxane, and Alchohol, Isopropyl in their products which can be easily absorbed by your skin and affect your intestines. When buying organic cosmetics look for ingredients with:
    • Emollients
    • Humectants
    • Emulsifiers
    • Surfactants
    • Preservatives
  4. Avoid any skincare or makeup product that was made in China. It is a huge warning it was most likely tested on animals because China is required by law to test on animals before selling a product. Companies like Avon, Mary Kay, Revlon, and Estee Lauder are known to pay China to test their products on animals in order to sell them in China.

A list of companies that do and don’t test on animals:

If you want to help put a stop to animal-testing, you can start by investing in better cosmetics and checking out the Humane Society’s website which offers 10 ways to help put a stop to animal-testing and can be read here.