13 Tips To Help You Meet Your Fitness Goals

As told by a uber-busy, multitasking, part-time fitness freak.

118

I went from a super fit High School athlete to a model. But when I moved to Georgia for school I lost my motivation and my defined muscles. Without realizing it I became much slower and weaker, and that only got worse when I got pregnant. There is nothing wrong with the shape I was in, but I wasn't happy. I missed being strong and fast.

So, I started working out again and building my strength back up. After many failed diet plans and "off the wagon" weeks, I finally got back in the groove and got my body back. More importantly, I got my confidence back. Here are my top 13 tips for achieving your fitness goals!

1. Stay hydrated

Water is your best friend, especially when you have made an effort to be more active. Drink plenty of water, cut back on sugary drinks. Make it a goal to drink about a gallon a day!

2. Fake it till you make it

All those thin and strong fitties on Instagram don’t just roll out of bed with the motivation to hit the gym. Sometimes you have to fake that motivation. Go to the gym. Grab your weights. Lace up those tennis shoes. Once you’re there and you’ve started working to better yourself, the motivation will roll in.

3. Just kidding, give it your all

You may have to fake the motivation to make it out of bed but don’t slack in your workout. Push yourself to the last rep, and then push for one more. Finish that last lap. You’ve made it this far, don’t cheat yourself out of the progress those final few reps will earn you.

4. Stretch

Be sure to warm up/cool down and stretch before and after your workouts. This will not only minimize injuries but will also help reduce the tightness you feel the day after a good workout.

5. Get adequate sleep

Sleep. We all need it. When you work your body hard, you may need just a little more deep sleep.

6. Know what you’re working

Leg day? Arm day? Everything day? It’s important to have a plan for your workout, making sure to push opposing muscles.

7. Eat

Please don’t follow the next big trend diet. Your body needs fuel. If you want that perfect beach body or just to drop a pound or two, you need to treat your body right. Feed yourself.

9. Know what you should eat

There is such a thing as a good fat. But there are also really bad fats. Everybody has different dietary needs based on their goals, current fitness level, activity levels, and body fat percentage. There are several online calculators to help you, and most gyms employ nutritionists to help you set your goals.

10. But also, treat yourself

Portion control is everything. I’ve failed so many diet plans because they were all or nothing. Did you have a really good workout today and follow your meal plan? Do you really want some ice cream? Get it, girl. But don’t fill the whole bowl. Be mindful of the nutrition and limit yourself to a few bites or a half a bowl. Eat one or two cookies instead of twelve. Have a handful of Cheetos instead of the whole bag.

11. Know your limits, push them, but not too hard

When you jump into a workout and fitness plan after months of a very laid back routine, you can shock your body. Know your limits and push them to make yourself stronger. But, don’t push them too hard at first. It’s okay to work yourself up slowly. Build up the weight and reps week by week.

12. Non-scale goals are key

The number on the scale doesn’t mean much in the world of fitness. Muscle ways more than fat, and 150 pounds has hundreds of different shapes. You can maintain or even gain weight when you are consistently working out. Take progress pictures. Make non-scale goals like running a mile with no break, or increasing your max weight squat.

13. Do what makes you feel good

Regardless of the advice you hear from people who are not medical professionals, do what feels right to you. Workout and eat right for you, not for the people around you. Do what makes you feel good, and be confident about it.

Now go, hit your goals! Please remember that fit looks different for everyone. Fitness can mean six-pack abs, but it can also mean having the ability to make it up the stairs a little less winded than you were last week. Hitting goals takes time and effort, and you should respect the goals and progress of everyone.