Tips For Gasparilla: First And Second Time Experiences

Tips on how to get by during the Gasparilla Parade mayhem and merriment.

493
Tampa Bay

This year was my second time attending the Gasparilla Pirate Parade, arguably one the biggest parades in Tampa.

I had initially written about this before my second experience where I paid to go one of the frat buses and now that I've done both I feel that my initial tips for surviving Gaspy still apply.

While last year was much less planned, in fact it was a very last minute decision considering we only confirmed our decision five hours before. My second time was actually not as smooth even though it was more planned out.

Since it was my cousin's first semester, I wanted to make sure she had a good time and let me tell you, it’s rough being an adventurous host when you’re barely sure of what it is you’re even getting yourself into.

As if waking up at about eight in the morning wasn’t enough, there was also the fact of dressing up. Being a broke college student and not at all very keen on buying an outfit (honestly, it isn’t something many people do anyway so that was a good call on my part) instead I pulled together the most pirate-like outfit I could conjure without “trying too hard." Red bandana, fishnet tights, a loose white blouse, high waisted black shorts, my favorite black chelsea boots and a chunky necklace did the trick for me.

This year we weren't as lucky to get the weather from last year. With the frigid winds and cloudy skies, some of us bundled up while others fought against the pain.

Even though we took Ubers last year, I still recommend this next tip to avoid a few problems.

Tip #1

Try to catch a ride on one of the frat buses because we thought we were dodging the financial bullet, but turns out we were wrong because the Uber ended up being pretty pricey (especially on our way back).

Being lucky enough to get an extremely aggressive driver from Jordan, he seemed to think he could pull a bunch of reckless driving tricks on the highway and literally swerved in and out of near-death experiences all the while having an extremely enthusiastic conversation on the phone. As expected, the closer we got to downtown Tampa, the more traffic we encountered. We ended up eagerly and gratefully exiting the Uber on the side of a road close enough to hear the commotion of Gasparilla festival goers and were glad to have somehow made it in one piece.

Unlike last year, my friends and I decided to pay the early fee of only $15 for one of the frat buses to take us to and from campus which was totally worthwhile. We also had no problem entering and exiting the plot sine we got wristbands so we could also make our way to the parade anytime. We definitely got our money's worth there.

Tip #2

Be sure to wear some comfortable shoes.

With all the commotion we were completely unaware of how long we’d been weaving in and out of the crowds of people and after about a good 30 minutes, we started to be reminded of our basic needs (not just having to find the nearest bathroom, if you're lucky).

Tip #3

Bring water and snacks.

In most of my other experiences at festivals and such our bags get checked so I had the naive preconception that Gasparilla wouldn’t be any different. Well it is. It's basically a free for all along Bayshore for the parade floats to pass where there are also a bunch of food trucks filled with overpriced barbecue, fried foods and drinks.

(One great advantage of paying for the frat buses is that some of them also provide food.)

Meanwhile, it was barely even noon and yet we already saw several people hunched over facing the consequences of pregaming since eight (if not earlier) in the morning being carried by a few compassionate friends, dragged away by first responders and/or cops, some brightly covered groups of dancers in gypsy outfits banging their drums and passionately shaking their tambourines in circles and of course the impressionable religious fanatics carrying their picket signs warning the public of their sins through their megaphones.

Around two, the infamous shots of the canons signals the start of the Parade of Pirates.

Tip #4

Make sure you stick with your friends because the crowds are crazy with overly eager or overly intoxicated people. That way, you can at least keep calm and be sure you won't get too lost.

So be sure that you don't take your eyes off the people you came with!

Now for the next tip, if you have any intention of being a part of the many attendees attempting to stack up their bead collection I’d be sure to follow...

Tip #5

Find a spot along the fences if you want to be able to catch any of those bead necklaces. (Or be genetically blessed with height.)

Surprisingly enough, catching those bead necklaces seems to be of no laughing matter to some people, especially when they're drunk. It may not seem so at first but after you’re able to catch one or two, next thing you know you get addicted (and I say this from experience).

Oh, and I also say this with all seriousness, but be sure to watch out for the other people around you because they will fight for what they believe they deserve, and I say this again, especially when they're drunk.

I was lucky enough to have been blindsided by a seemingly sweet old lady intent on not only grabbing the necklace from my hand, but also from my neck, as though I wouldn’t be aware and then kindly apologized for practically gouging my eyes out when caught.

As the parade simmers to an end and you find yourself satisfied with your all your booty aka neck candy, it’d be best to...

Tip #6

“Weigh the anchor and hoist the mizzen!”

(Translation: Literally get the hell out of there as soon as you can unless you’d like to get trampled by drunken Gasparillians.)

Hopefully if you have to deal with finding transportation, it's not during an Uber/Lyft surge (which is honestly highly unlikely).

(Another advantage of paying for the frat buses, you not only get a ride there but also a ride back to campus.)

With that, you’ve just experienced one version of a first time Gasparilla goer (with the encouragement of a second timer who should have taken some of my own advice to avoid some of the aftermath).

But luckily, I can happily admit that both my cousin and I had a pretty great first time experience!

Hope these tips help!

As for next year Gasparilla, we’ll see.