Time To Hit The Trail

Time To Hit The Trail

Why every teen boy should go backpacking.

21
Time To Hit The Trail
Joseph Draper

Last summer I had the opportunity to serve as a backpacking guide for Camp Timberline in Estes Park, Colorado. It was one of the most fun and unpredictable summers I have ever had. From weeks of rain and cold to those filled with beautiful star filled skies and blue skies, there was never a dull moment. I wouldn’t trade the memories and laughter from those trips for anything.

I had the opportunity while on the trail to converse with and get to know some really cool young guys and gals. For the purpose of this article, I have decided to focus on the things I saw in my boys on trail and why every teenage boy should get to have the same experience they did. I’m sure there are some very capable ladies out there who worked as guides who could talk about why backpacking is good for growing girls, and I think they could do a better job discussing that than me.

While out in the back country an interesting thing happens to teenage boys who are constantly being told they have to follow rules and conform to society back at home. They are given a lot of freedom and room to run around. It was fun to watch the progression over the course of the trip as they realized they were free to do pretty much anything they wanted. Now, of course, there were some limitations, but not very many. Day one they would ask my permission for just about everything, but by day three, they would be climbing everything in sight and trying to catch fish out of the lakes with sharpened sticks and knives.

Spending a week out in the wilderness is an incredible way for a teenage boy to get a break from all the chaos of regular life. Today’s teenagers are constantly juggling a plethora of events. Between academics, sports, theater, and trying to have a social life, there is not much time to just enjoy being young. Even over the summer, there are clinics, camps, and classes to take. The boys I had on trail were able to take a whole week to enjoy nature and be away.

Another fun thing to experience is how much of an equalizer nature is. Boys who sleep in the same tent and share a week in the wilderness will be friends in spite of any differences they have back at home. There were many friendships I saw develop in the back country among guys who would never have been in the same friend circles back at home. The most unlikely boys will join together for the most interesting and epic adventures.

Because of the small nature of the groups out on the trail, no one can hide or be forgotten. What I mean by this is that it is incredibly hard for someone to quietly hang back and not partake in the activities of the group. Even the quiet and shy kids end up growing tight with the group and starting their own jokes within the group. Going on a backpacking trip encourages boys to see past their differences and get along in spite of differences that would exist back at home.

While many parents might disagree with this as a benefit, boys have a chance to get hurt and to get dirty while on trail. Scrapes and bruises happen, but fortunately my fabulous co-guide was a very capable back country doctor, and for the boys they can become battle scars to take pride in. Dealing with the injuries and bleeding that can occur from time to time in the back country encourages them to have a measure of toughness and durability. We live in a culture that is afraid to let growing boys fall and get hurt, but in order for them to be strong men capable of leading, they need to be able to endure some pain.

Lastly, going on a backpacking trip is a tough experience. The hikes will be tiring and the mornings are cold and come early sometimes, but the feeling of finishing it is so worth it. I can think of many stories both from my trips and those of my fellow guides where there was fear that a kid would not be able to finish the trip. When they did, which is the vast majority of the time, they were so proud and amazed by what they had done. They learned they could hike farther than they thought possible and be a part of a team of friends willing to embrace a challenge. For boys in today’s world, this is an incredible advantage. They can take that memory back to their schools where it will be useful in academics, sports, band, and anywhere else they are a part of a club.

Backpacking trips are a lot of fun. Sure there are trials and tribulations along the way, but everyone can find some redeeming quality from a backpacking experience. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to do it again, but you can still be amazed at how well you did and apply that to other aspects of life. I would encourage every teenage boy to take advantage of the opportunity to take a couple days out of their busy schedule to explore the wilderness. As we said on the trail this summer, “Go Beyond and Defy Your Limits!”