It is Time to Talk About Antifa

It is Time to Talk About Antifa

The movement does more than just oppose Nazis, and is helping divide our country.

84
It is Time to Talk About Antifa
Unicorn Riot on Vimeo

The dust has settled from the Charlotesville terrorist event at a white supremacy rally, but the outrage from Trump’s “both sides” comment still lingers. His recent campaign rally in Phoenix brought controversy back up as he defended his comments about the two sides.

On that particular day, Trump is dead wrong. The neo-nazis that showed up incited violence, in an attempt to push their anti-American and white supremacist agenda on our great nation.

Antifa, on that day, was not at fault.

However, had there been nothing going on in Charlotesville, the other side that Trump referred to would have found something else to do.

Antifa is a group that has gained new prominence throughout the past election cycle through their political violence. The group's name is short for Anti-Fascist, and claims to be fighting those they deem "Nazis." Now, shutting down Nazi ideals is an idea I am already on board for, but that is not what this movement is.

For starters, the term "Nazi" has been thrown around to describe people that are certainly not Nazis. Ann Coulter was labeled a "fascist" when she tried to speak at Berkeley, and the school prepared for violence.

There seems to be a narrative surrounding Antifa that the movement is reactive to President Trump, and people are buying it. However, it is so much more than that, and the movement does not simply represent people that “oppose Nazis.” Antifa’s true intentions are not even hidden, either. A quick browse of their social media eliminates any debate about what they stand for.

The cover photo on the Boston Antifa chapter’s Facebook page is a member of the organization burning a sign labeled “FREE SPEECH.” Another post includes a hashtag that reads “#StopFreeSpeech.” Opposing this horrid movement does not make one a supporter of Neo-Nazism.

In their apparent attempt to fight what they deem “fascism,” they burn the flag that eradicated Fascism during World War Two.

Boston was recently host to a “free speech” rally consisting of far-right speakers, and the rally drew a large amount of counter protestors, most of whom were peaceful.

Nevertheless, Antifa showed up to riot and incite violence, because that is what they do. Members of the self-described “anarcho-communist” movement threw urine at the Boston Police department in the midst of their flag burning as they rioted against the first amendment.

Antifa is more than just a movement that opposes Nazis, and talking about how horrible this group is does not make someone a Nazi sympathizer.

Actor Seth Rogen tweeted about how comparing Nazis and those that hate Nazis is outrageous:

The idea that Nazis and people who oppose Nazis are somehow equatable is the most batshit fucking crazy shit I've ever fucking heard.

Sure, with no context, that is absurd. Yet, people were not talking about people that simply oppose Nazis, they were talking about a movement that promotes political violence in an attempt to push a communist agenda.

Communism has killed more people in world history than Nazism, and yet people seem to not have a problem with a self-proclaimed communist group burning American flags.

The group and its supporters were responsible for a lot of election violence, and had a strong presence during post election riots.

Antifa's rhetoric against capitalism and support of political violence is a problem as our country grows further divided. Standing up to Antifa is common sense, and it is time to talk about them.