How Tim McGraw Changed My Life In Under 5 Minutes

“I know you’ve got mountains to climb, but always stay humble and kind.”

50
Tim McGraw

Tim McGraw is a country music legend. Not only has he has pulled the heartstrings of many for decades with his good looks, but also through his music. He’s the man behind, “Live Like You Were Dying,” “If You’re Reading This,” “My Best Friend,” and many other priceless songs. Awhile back, he released a song titled, “Humble And Kind,” and after one listen, my life was changed. The lyrics throughout this song speak to me in more ways than one and I haven’t been able to take it off of repeat since the first day it reached my ears.

“Hold the door, say please, say thank you.”

In today’s society, it seems like being polite is a rare characteristic to uphold. Holding the door for others and saying please and thank you are all simple things that could have a greater impact on someone's life than one would think. Some people forget the things that they were first taught because they don't think they matter anymore; people become cold. Don't be cold. Simple acts of kindness matter.

“When the work you put in is realized, let yourself feel the pride, but always stay humble and kind.”

Being a hard worker is a trait that not many people obtain. Hard work takes time, effort, and drive. Unfortunately, most people do not receive all of the credit they deserve. There are people who spend countless hours behind the scenes just to make other peoples’ lives and jobs easier. Every once in awhile, there will be someone who realizes how much you truly shine, and they’re going to want to show you off and make sure you get the credit that you deserve. When that does happen, you have to refrain from letting it all get to your head. Of course, it’s more than okay to feel proud of yourself, but remaining humble should be your top priority.

“Don’t expect a free ride from no one.”

Be independent. Don’t expect anyone to hand you anything. Nothing in life worth having comes easily, so always work hard to earn everything you receive. Take care of yourself; don’t expect anyone else to.

It’s okay to ask for help, but, like I said, ask for it. And you better ask politely.

“Bitterness keeps you from flyin’.”

Negativity is a toxic drug that holds people back from being great. Bitter feelings, breeding hatred and holding grudges say more about you than they do about anyone else. Negativity is exhausting, so please, learn to let things go. Don’t let other people have any impact on you that doesn’t lift you up.

Above all else, be better, not bitter.

“Know the difference between sleeping with someone and sleeping with someone you love.”

This generation, also known as the “hookup generation,” has formulated its own version of dating, which, by the way, doesn’t appeal to me at all. People are so caught up in finding their “one true love” that they don’t understand what love truly is. People tend to fall in love with the idea of someone rather than the person themselves. It’s so incredibly important to know, understand, and acknowledge the difference between being with someone just to be with them and being with someone because you are madly in love with them.

“’I love you’ ain’t no pickup line.”

There are these really cool people in this world called sweet-talkers. They will say whatever they have to in order to play with your emotions, get in your pants, manipulate you, take advantage of you, etc. And contrary to popular belief, men are not the only ones who do this; Yes, women sweet-talk as well. Please, I beg of you, learn to know the difference between someone who says the right words to get your body and someone who says the right words to get you.

“Don’t take for granted the love this life gives you.”

Fatal car wrecks, murders, plane crashes, terminal illnesses, natural causes. What do all of these things have in common? They all, plus many other tragic events, happen on a daily basis. What do all of these things usually end with? Death. Nobody ever knows when their life is going to end. There is no accurate way to predict when someone is going to be taken away from you. Your life (and everyone else’s) can be stripped away at any point in time. Life is delicate and precious, so enjoy every individual second that you are given and make sure everyone in your life knows how much you love them before it’s too late.

“When you get where you’re going, don’t forget, turn back around.”

The journey through life is an incredible ride. People are constantly moving and making changes; nothing is ever set in stone. People travel paths to reach their final destinations, also known as their dreams. What’s important is that you never, ever forget where you came from. Once you get there, don’t forget to turn around and acknowledge your past for creating you into the person you are and for getting you to where you’ve always dreamed of being.

“Help the next one in line.”

Take a look around. There are people all around you who are in desperate need of a helping hand. Whether it’s something as simple as a sandwich to eat, a few dollars to fill up their tank, or a hug to put them back together, there is always someone reaching out for help. Be their person who finds those people and leaves them better than you found them.

Life is hard, challenging, and demanding. It can be overwhelming, exhausting, and draining. Every single person has his or her own responsibilities and obligations. Everyone is fighting a battle and everyone is trying to be the best person they can possibly be. What’s important is that through all of the struggles and obstacles life throws at you, you must always treat everybody like they’re somebody and you must always be the most selfless person you can possibly be.

Thank you, Tim McGraw, for reminding me of all the little things that make all the big things matter.