The Tight NFL MVP Race

The Tight NFL MVP Race

Breaking down the five players with the best chance of taking home the MVP hardware

20
The Tight NFL MVP Race
Game Time 2

The 2016 NFL season has been an exciting one. Things have been different this season with the emergence of the Oakland Raiders and Miami Dolphins, the Dallas Cowboys being led by young stars (and that incredible offensive line), and Tom Brady actually got suspended for once (it needed to happen). Not only are the playoff match ups and possibilities exciting, but the NFL MVP race is pretty tight. At this time of year, the MVP is pretty clear cut. This season is different. There are many players that are deserving of the award and it is hard to choose one. Here are some of the players that are most deserving (and no, I will not list Ravens Kicker Justin Tucker like ESPN did).

Honorable Mentions: Matthew Stafford, Quarterback of the Detroit Lions, Dak Prescott, Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and Derek Carr, Quarterback of the Oakland Raiders

Ezekiel Elliott, Running Back, Dallas Cowboys

Elliott has had a stellar rookie season. With 1,631 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns it is hard to overlook the rookie running back. He has played out of his mind and his team is the top seed in the NFC. Before the hype gets too high with him, let's remember his offensive line is second to none. While his skill is incredible, I believe there is another running back who is better and would've put up video game numbers with Elliott's line in Dallas.

David Johnson, Running Back, Arizona Cardinals

Johnson had a monster year for the otherwise mediocre Arizona Cardinals. He racked up 1,239 rushing yards and 16 rushing touchdowns for a team that has a pretty good receiving core and a middle of the pack offensive line. He also tacked on 4 receiving touchdowns, 3 more than Elliott. While his team didn't make the playoffs, they would've been cellar dwellers without him, which shows his value even more.

Tom Brady, Quarterback, New England Patriots

Brady had the best touchdown to interception ratio in NFL history this season with 28 touchdowns compared to only 2 interceptions. That is quite impressive. He also had 3,554 passing yards, a 112.2 passer rating and the second best QBR (83.1). What makes it even more impressive is he did it in 12 games, which should actually prevent him from winning the award. He was not injured, but was suspended. That, in my opinion, should make him ineligible for the award. The team was also 3-1 without him, meaning his absence was not felt as much as the next two candidates absences would be. While I don't feel he should win it, that is up to the voters to decide.

Aaron Rodgers, Quarterback, Green Bay Packers

Rodgers stepped it up in the second half of the season. Many think he shouldn't be eligible because he only played well in the second half of the season. That's not necessarily true. In the first 8 games he had 17 passing touchdowns and 4 interceptions. If that's a down year, then Rodgers is hands down the best quarterback of all time. I wouldn't say that is the case, as his "down year" could've been credited to the atrocious defense that showed up in the first half of the season. Once they stepped up, Rodgers was able to shine. He ended up with a league leading 40 passing touchdowns and only 7 interceptions, while "running the table" and reviving a 4-6 Packers team to a 10-6 record and an NFC North division title. Rodgers is one cool character and keeps calm in situations like those and would be the MVP any other year if not for a quarterback on a different playoff team.

Matt Ryan, Quarterback, Atlanta Falcons

Ryan led a Falcons team that was 8-8 last season and made them a contender. The Falcons won the NFC South crown with a record of 11-5 and ended up with a first round bye in the playoffs. Ryan also put up big stats. He piled up 4,944 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. He had the best QBR in the league and a 117.1 passer rating to go along with it. Those stats are too incredible to ignore and a lot of the success of the Falcons can be credited to him. Without Ryan, the Falcons would be lost and that is what makes him a true MVP. The race is tight, but Ryan is my pick to win the NFL Most Valuable Player.