We All Tick To Our Own Clock

We All Tick To Our Own Clock

It's OK to graduate late.

96
We All Tick To Our Own Clock
Jazz Lives

I went into college fresh-faced and eager. My life was laid out neatly before me: I'd graduate with a double degree in Business and Cognitive Science, with a minor in Psychology. I'd go to graduate school to become a pediatric Cognitive Neurologist.

It all sounded so prestigious and successful to me. I felt like nothing could knock me down from my high.

Then the unthinkable happened – I sank.

I sank into a deep depression from a series of unfortunate events. My grades, my GPA and my financial aid suffered. My mental health took a serious blow. I felt alone in the world, like even God couldn't hear me.

I ended up moving home, convinced that a semester at community college would clear my head and set me back on track. I wasn't wrong. So, I decided to move back to the same college that brought me so low, and ended up finding my life clock slowing before my very eyes.

It scared me to no end. My entire life, I knew that I would go to college, but I never even considered the idea that I wouldn't make it. Suddenly I could hear God loud and clear: You don't belong here.

You don't belong here.

I knew exactly where I belonged, but my pride was blinding me. The one thing I've always been gifted at in life, that I've been completely confident in, was writing. I was convinced, however, that it wouldn't get me anywhere.

It wouldn't provide a stable life and it wasn't a career that would ensure me success. Writing isn't black and white; it requires you to be imaginative. It requires you to bare your soul to the world.

Still unconvinced that I could pursue writing, I continued to ignore God as best I could. I transferred to Sam Houston State University to study Criminal Justice/Psychology and found my clock start to move again. This wasn't enough, though.

Another stint pushed me back and I nearly spiraled again, wondering why nothing could go right.

When I finally listened to God and switched my focus to Mass Communications, my clock didn't just speed up, it flew. I flew.

For the first time since high school, I was happy at school. Classes were no longer a burden. Organizations were something I actively sought out, and now hold leadership positions in. I've found my niche.

Now, I have an amazing group of friends surrounding me and an incredible support system. Never have I been more excited to see where my life is taking me.

If you're like me, you may sometimes get discouraged that the finish line is further than it was when you started this marathon. It's important to remember, however, that this isn't a race.

Each and every one of us have our own clock we tick to. It's OK to graduate late; that just means more time to figure out our lives before we cross that finish line.

"I love you and will never leave you, never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."