I'm About To Be A College Senior And It's Scarier Than I Thought It'd Be

Slow down, college!

122
Author's photo

It seems like it was just yesterday that I was moving into my freshman dorm, preparing myself to embark on the challenging but exciting experience that is college. Now here I am, three years later, with only a little under two months left of my junior year. Before I know it, I am going to be starting my final year of college, my senior year. So many different types of emotions are associated with this year of college, and I am starting to feel many of them to a great extent.

My nerves are really starting to set in about finding an internship for the Summer. I want to get a head start on my career after college, and there is no better way to do that than finding some experience and expanding my networks before I am thrown into the real world. I have spent the past two summers working, nannying and waiting tables, but this upcoming Summer leading into my senior year of college strikes me as especially important, because before I know it, I will be applying for jobs. I want to leave college employed, so how I spend this Summer is crucial.

It is also crazy to think about if this Summer could potentially be my last Summer spent in my childhood home. Who knows what life course I will be on in a year from now. Opportunities arise so quickly and can come to the surface out of nowhere, so I may need to adapt to them in whatever way is best fit.

With about only a month and a half left of the semester, that means that final exam season is going to arrive before we know it. I want to enjoy my last few weeks before senior year stress hits, but I need to make sure that I still focus on the present and hit my exams out of the park. It is important to me that I enter into my senior year one the right foot, academic wise.

If anyone knows me at all, they know that I live for being at school, especially for being with my school friends. The friends that I have made here have become like family to me, and to think that I only have one more year of constantly being surrounded by them is a frightening thought.

What is even more frightening is the fact that some of my friends won't be here with me next year, those who are graduating this upcoming May. We always avoid this topic as its too sad to think about not being here next year, but I can't help but have those feelings lingering in the back of my head. I have grown so close with so many people since my first day of college, and often times it is difficult to imagine school without them.

It's unbelievable that I was once one of the youngest students on this campus. Since then, I have learned so much, grown as both an individual and as a friend, met so many different kinds of people, but in just a few months, I am going to be one of the eldest students on this campus. When people told me to enjoy college because it is going to fly by incredibly fast, I didn't take them all that literally.

But boy, were they right. Part of me wants to start all over again from the beginning, and part of me is so excited to see what is going to come next this upcoming year. I'm excited to see what is in store for me in my final year of college.