As an athlete, when August rolls around it's only a matter of days before I'll be sprinting from line to line on the 100 degree turf field counting on both hands all the places I would rather be (needless to say I never have enough fingers for this). Here are 10 things that go through all athlete's heads during this hell week we call preseason.
1. "I am so in shape, I'm gonna kill it this year"
Sadly this feeling doesn't last too long. It always seems that no matter how much you train, you can never really be ready for preseason.
2. "Was that warm-up laps or our conditioning for the day?"
Is it just me or does running two laps around the track really knock the wind out of you?
3. "There is nothing I want more than food right now."
There's absolutely nothing better than laying in bed surrounded by snack food after practice. Relaxing and satisfying all in one.
4. "If Coach makes us run one more sprint I think I might quit"
It's that feeling when you think your legs might fall off if you take one more step on the field.
5. "If I pretend to faint can I go home and sleep?"
I think Tina Fey has this one down more than I ever would. Maybe I should practice my fainting skills instead of running?
6. "Is it acceptable to walk around in public with ice bags wrapped all over me?"
You rock those ice bags, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
7. "9 pm is bedtime"
Or maybe 8... or 7... or whenever you get off practice...
8. "Is it possible to injure every muscle in your body?"
That feeling when you actually can't move any part of your body without extreme pain. Preseason leaves me handicapped every year.
9. "I wonder if everyone smells as gross as I do right now."
I mean if we all smell gross is doesn't count right?
10. "I can't believe I survived that."
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, am I right? At the end of the day we all suffer together as a team.