An Open Letter To Those Who Scream Gun Control

It's not the answer.

301
123rf.com

Early one morning waiting on my lecture to begin, I watched a video circulating on Facebook of different popular and known celebrities including Beyoncé, and Courtney Cox, calling for President Trump to mandate gun control and why it is needed now more than ever before, and I’m here to tell you it’s complete bullshit, and before you even try to throw “have you seen how many mass shootings there are?" Listen;

Let’s look at the recent shooting in Texas. The Sutherland Springs incident that left at least 26 dead on November 5th, 2017. A person walked into the church dressed in black and opened fire killing at least 26 and injuring some 20 more.

Those are facts.

Another fact is that churches are generally gun free zones. So hypothetically speaking, a gunman walks into a church that is not a gun free zone, conceal carrying citizens are inside, the gunman opens fire. The conceal carry citizen takes out the shooter before the police and emergency personnel can even become en route. This would be a possibility if people were not so convinced guns were the source of this issue. This brings me to my first point. NEVER in my twenty years on planet earth have I ever witnessed a handgun, rifle, automatic weapon, knife, or any other type of weapon do any type of harm without a human involvement.

Let me repeat that: NEVER in my twenty years on this planet, have I ever witnessed any type of weapon, do any type of harm without a human pulling the trigger, without a human stabbing someone, without a human making a decision to be a coward and cause harm to another individual or group of individuals. It is not actually possible for any gun to do any type of harm without human interaction. So why do so many people want to blame an inanimate object? Good fucking question. That is something I have been wondering since I have been able to understand any of this.

A topic often screamed at the top of liberals lungs is the term ‘gun control’. So what exactly is gun control? Merriam Webster Dictionary defines gun control as “regulation of the selling, owning, and use of guns”. That’s a great thought, right? But what happens when people decide they don’t need to abide by those laws?

What happens when people decide to do whatever they want to? Exactly. Liberals (and those anti-gun) can scream gun control all day long, all night, until the end of the time but it will never be effective. The only thing gun control will ever accomplish is the federal government has, even more, control over law-abiding citizens, restricting them from obtaining guns and controlling gun free zones.

How will that ever help against those who make the decision to live by their own rules? It won’t. Are you starting to see my thought process here? Those who are law abiding citizens would be the group of citizens hurt by gun control.

My second point includes the idea that gun free zones are the targets of mass shootings and tragedies. Think of the locations for a second, Sandy Hook, Aurora Colorado movie theater, church in Texas, nightclub. These are locations where it is either illegal to carry/ possess a firearm, or somewhere the general population would not be carrying if allowed by law. But wait- if it’s illegal to carry there why are there shooting?

Revisit my earlier point about people making their own decisions disregarding laws if you’re confused about how gun free zones still have shootings. If these locations had not been gun free, and citizens would stop being so batshit scared of a firearm, law-abiding citizens could actually prevent and stop mass shootings easier. Now I know exactly what your next point is. “Why do you have policemen if we have to protect ourselves?”

Let’s look at this realistically. In Texas, for every 10,000 persons, there are 244 police officers worn in. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/police-employee-data) How do expect them to be aware of every single person, every single crime, every single thought of a crime?

It’s not physically possible.

If we increase police, people will cry the people are being too watched. If we keep the ratio we have, people cry there’s not enough.

One positive outcome of this dark situation are the actions made by Stephen Willeford, a Texas resident and hero to many, though he claims it was nothing a person surrounding wouldn't do. Willeford, 55 grabbed his AR-15, barefoot from being around the house and went to the neighboring church.

He shot the coward. He did what a normal Texan would do. Sensible Texans are thanking him across the state for being brave and doing what he says "Any Texan would do."

***side note: notice how I have not once mentioned the shooter's name? On purpose- he's a dead coward, its not important.***

So please, consider how implementing these gun control laws and policies will only cause more harm than good. If you do not see the issue with implementing these laws, then you're the problem.