6 Things To Do In Tallahassee For Spring Break

Staying in town for spring break? Here's some things you could consider doing!

43

With spring break around the corner, I think we can agree it is something all of us are looking forward to considering all of the exams and midterms that we have piling up. So with that being said not everyone is able to go out of town for spring break. You might think this leaves you with nothing to do in sweet old Tallahassee but you're wrong! It may seem like Tallahassee has nothing to offer but you've just gotta look more closely. Here are some things that you could either do by yourself for some relaxing time or with a friend for a bonding experience.

1. Bike riding in Tom Brown Park.

Spring weather is perfect for bike riding. Tom Brown Park has numerous trails that you can bike through. Do not be intimidated by the trails! There are different trails for different skill levels and you can find these trails on the map that they have in the park. The map shows what trails are available to bike and color codes them by the level of difficulty. So if you're looking for a nice stroll or a challenging trail, there's something for you.

2. Visiting the Tallahassee Museum.

If you're a Tallahassee native you can probably recall taking numerous field trips as a kid to visit this museum. While those trips are fun, now that we are older it offers a lot more activities for us. One of the newest additions to this museum is that they offer zip-lining. For zip-lining, there are also different courses you can decide to take depending on your adventure level. There are options for the little ones and for adults. One of the great features of the courses is that a couple of them take you zip lining over lakes! Another perk of going zip-lining is that with the purchase of a zip lining ticket you gain access to tour the grounds of the museum which means nice nature walks and wild animals you can look at.

3. Boat tours in Wakulla Springs State Park.

Springs are great places to visit during this time because you never know what you might find, in the water or out! A cool fact about Wakulla Springs water is that the water maintains a temperature of 70 degrees all year round. While it may be too cold to swim during spring break, they will still allow it. If you're not into the idea if swimming during this time another thing they offer is boat tours. You can see the schedule of boat tours online or upon arrival. These tours are not only educational on the springs but they are also fun. If you get lucky enough you will even spot the beautiful manatees that live there.

4. Visiting the Old Capitol.

This is another example of things natives to Tallahassee have done in the past during school field trips. The best thing about this option is that it's completely free, while they do accept donations there is no admission price to enter. The outside of this Old Capitol will not only give you great Instagram shots but you will also learn about what was going on in Tallahassee around the time when this capital was still the main capitol. Inside there are different exhibits and rooms you can look in, it'll feel like you're traveling back in time. After seeing the capitol there are great food places nearby that you could walk to get lunch also.

5. Having a picnic or going kayaking in Maclay Gardens.

Maclay Gardens is a lot different than Wakulla Springs. Over time Maclay Gardens has become a place where people come to take their prom or graduation pictures but it has a lot more to offer. If you pick the right day you could make plans with your friends to have a picnic on their beautiful green fields and just be one with nature. If having a picnic isn't really your cup of tea you're in luck because they also allow kayaking. You can either bring your own kayak or rent one of the ones that they have available at the park.

6. Taking a stroll around Lake Ella.

Lake Ella always offers something new to see. Depending on the day you go you can either take a walk around it and admire the views that it has to offer or you'll see musicians are artisans showing off their work. If you end up going on a Thursday you're in luck because every Thursday they have an event called Food Truck Thursday. At this event, there is live music and plenty of food trucks you could grab a bite from. Bring a friend or two and a picnic blanket and enjoy the music along with delicious food.